Pre-cruise land upgrades

Lonedaddy

Is there a standard way they calculate the additional cost to upgrade the land packages to a different one.  On one cruise they based it on the difference between the included package and the new one.  On the latest quote for a Cape town cruise, they are just giving a 750 non use credit, instead of the difference 4299-1199 SB 3100 less the 5% PH discount on land packages.  

Do they have a standard or is it up to the individual RSSC sales agent to calculate it? 

The first cruise we recently booked and asked for a land package upgrade, it was the price difference.  The most recent booking we made, they at first tried the non- use credit of $750, which was almost 50% less than the price to book it on your own.  I questioned this with my travel agent, and eventually it was changed to the difference in price if either was booked directly, and they did also provide the PH discount.

I think it depends on the agent that your TA works with.  A little bit of encouragement will get you the more appropriate price.

38 minutes ago, makai 7 said:

The first cruise we recently booked and asked for a land package upgrade, it was the price difference.  The most recent booking we made, they at first tried the non- use credit of $750, which was almost 50% less than the price to book it on your own.  I questioned this with my travel agent, and eventually it was changed to the difference in price if either was booked directly, and they did also provide the PH discount.

I think it depends on the agent that your TA works with.  A little bit of encouragement will get you the more appropriate price.

thanks that is what they are trying to do no - Perhaps RSSC should standardize the and publish the rules.

Going back and forth with my TA.  I told him he needs to speak to another regent sales agent.  I get the 750 non use refund but this is not a non-use it is an upgrade.  I just priced out the same 15-day cruise on Silverses and the pricing with business air came in at nearly the same price for a PHB on Regent splendor and a silver suite on silver spirit.  

pulling my hair out on this one, I guess nobody can do math at regent or AMEX travel:  since when is 4299 double 3369?

from my TA 

"I was able to get more info concerning the Kruger land tour. From my contact at Regent:

Some sailings, like this one, offer a free land program - either pre or post - these are fixed tours. If the guests do not want that fixed free land program, they can choose an upgraded one (like the Kruger pre-cruise trip we added for them).

I then asked if the Kruger/Sabi Sabi tour is normally a higher price than the quoted $3,369.00. Apparently, it is actually more than double this price for the standard tour fare"

from regents website 

Program Includes:

*One night at the Intercontinental OR Tambo or similar hotel including breakfast (standard double room)

*Two nights at Sabi Sabi Little Bush Camp – (Luxury thatched Suite), all meals, game drives & two local beverages during meals

*One night at the Victoria And Alfred Hotel or similar – Piazza Facing Room

*Transfers and meet and greet

*Conservation fee for the Private Game Reserve

*Domestic economy class flights from Johannesburg to Skukuza to Cape Town

*Luggage shipment of 1 suitcase per person (20 kg/44lbs each) from Johannesburg to Cape Town

*Porterage at the hotels or lodges and airports

*1 bottle of water per person on all transfers in Johannesburg and Cape Town

Please Note: Guests booking their own flights (independent of the cruise line) are responsible for ensuring that the cruise line has the updated arrival information, so your transfer can be arranged. If you book additional nights independently of the cruise line, an arrival transfer is not provided. If we do not receive flight details a minimum of 14 days in advance, transfers will not be provided.

Program excludes:

*Personal expenses such as telephone calls; curio shop purchases; laundry, hotel incidentals etc.

*Additional beverages and meals not mentioned in the itinerary

*Visa fees

*Gratuities to drivers, luggage porters, tour guides and safari guides

*Excess or overweight luggage fees for any flights above what is included

Please note: Land programs that encompass multiple days ashore customarily include extensive and prolonged activity, while those of shorter durations typically have more moderate activity levels. However, each program varies, and participants should be prepared to negotiate a mixture of surfaces which may include inclines, cobblestones, sand, and gravel or natural paths. There may also be a need to climb steps or stairs on occasion. Guests who utilize a wheelchair and those with mobility concerns are advised to check with the cruise line in advance to see if any portion of the tour program may not be considered suitable for their individual situation. Weather appropriate clothing; hats; sunglasses; and flat, comfortable walking shoes are generally recommended.

Please note: All land programs are capacity controlled and subject to availability. Programs falling under the minimum number of required participants are subject to cancellation. Pricing listed is also subject to change to meet unexpected cost increases for transportation, land arrangements or currency fluctuations. Once purchased, pricing is guaranteed and not subject to change. Land Programs must be purchased no later than 60 days prior to your sail date. Cancellations made within 60 days or less prior to the sail date are subject to 100% cancellation penalty. There are no refunds for unused portions of any program. Guests failing to arrive on Day 1 of a scheduled land program will be considered a no-show and their hotel space released. Arrangements for accommodation and transfers will be at the expense of guests.

Price: $4,299 per guest based on double occupancy.

Dec 6 2024 included tours have a price of $1199 or $1799 depending on which you choose.  Being a profit focused corporation, they will only give you a credit of $1199 pp for the standard, included tour.  So $4299 is mor than double the standard fare of $1199.

so they will charge you the difference between 4299 and $1199 .  Their math looks like they are only giving you the $750 credit.

maybe if you present your agent with the amount they should charge you, it can get worked out to your satisfaction.

we had a problem several years ago when we took an offer from Regent to add another cruise after the one already booked (at a discount), and then they tried to charge us more than the cost of the two trips combined (with 4 flights instead of just two).  It took multiple calls and emails with math attached to get it resolved.  We had the “b-team” at the travel agency instead of our agent, and she was clueless.  We never used that agency again (for many reasons).

On 8/28/2022 at 10:15 AM, makai 7 said:

so they will charge you the difference between 4299 and $1199 .  Their math looks like they are only giving you the $750 credit.

maybe if you present your agent with the amount they should charge you, it can get worked out to your satisfaction.

Yes that is what we told them it should be 4299-1199 or 3100 less the 5% PH discount or 2945 pp total.  Perhaps the regent agent doesn't know how to do that in the system.  Our TA is trying to find another RSSC agent that might be able to understand this.