Train from La Spezia to Cinque Terre

FirstTeacher

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The other guidebooks seem to list every possible thing to do in a place, with not much guidance about which are more important for a first-time visitor or about how to actually visit them [hours, cost, directions, and guide inside if you don't get an audioguide].  Rick on the other hand is very rigorous about deciding which are the important sights, describing them (and only them) in great detail with everything you need, and usually arranging them in a logical walking tour so you can efficiently fill a day.  I sometimes find his flippant remarks off-putting, but it does lighten up what could be too heavy on facts/dates.

Our public libraries buy all his books, so I take them out when beginning my planning – then if I'm going to use a significant part of a book I buy it on amazon; otherwise I scan the relevant pages.  And if he comes out with a new edition just before my trip – annotate my copy with the few changes.  At this point I have one entire bookshelf (36") full of Rick Steves books – so, yes, I do recommend them!

And cruisemom42 - thank you both! 

20 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I'm not the one you asked, but I'll offer my comments.  I find Rick Steve's books to be helpful.  He generally offers useful and accurate information (and time/money-saving advice).  I almost always buy a copy of one for any European destination that I visit and read it thoroughly when I am making my plans for the trip.  It helps me pick locations to stay and even specific hotels if I choose to use his advice.  I view it as a starting point for further research.  When he supplies a small "walking tour" map in the book, I find those very helpful in finding my way around a particular area and seeing the important things.   But Rick Steves has a certain "style" to his work.  Some people may not like it.  You won't know until you read one and see what you think.   

Are you able to buy and read electronic books?  All of is books are available for download into Apple's Books app, for example.  I download them to my iPad and read them there usually.   They may be available on a Kindle -- I'm not sure.  The downside is you don't have a paper copy to bring with you.  Sometimes I do purchase a paper copy and bring it.  You can often find some of them in a book store's travel section (if you can still find an actual book store).  Rick actually urges you to tear out the relevant pages from the book and only bring them with you on your trip, which is what I did for my most recent trip to the UK and Ireland.

Cheers! I haven't been to a library for about 35 years. But got online.. and sure enough our local library has tons of his books! Will read up and then decide which ones to buy/download. Appreciate all the advice!

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 6:18 PM, FirstTeacher said:

Do you know the name of the app?

It’s the trenitalia app? Download on arrival in Italy and add your credit card 

you can literally buy your ticket when you are stepping on the train 

so easy to use and avoids the terrible lines at all the machines (well there were lines in May!)