Wifi on the Horizon

lesters

I’ve read a few posts from folks on other ships about having to buy wifi daily no packages available.  Is this because it’s so bad?

im hoping to purchase the Value level for my cruise on the Horizon next month to stay connected to home.  

Any recent Horizon cruisers able to validate what I should expect on board?  It’s a Southern route if that matters.  

Thanks!  

If you plan to use WiFi while onboard, I recommend you purchase it from Carnival prior to boarding, save some money.  There are three tiers, Social/Value/Premium.  I recently cruised on Horizon with the premium plan, 6-day, and the internet was not good at all.  Almost impossible to use most days.  You'll get best speeds during morning or late hours, it was very hit or miss.  I was able to make FaceTime audio calls but no video.  TMobile WiFi calling had worked in the past but that no longer seems to be the case.

Edited by Mr305

2 hours ago, Mr305 said:

If you plan to use WiFi while onboard, I recommend you purchase it from Carnival prior to boarding, save some money.  There are three tiers, Social/Value/Premium.  I recently cruised on Horizon with the premium plan, 6-day, and the internet was not good at all.  Almost impossible to use most days.  You'll get best speeds during morning or late hours, it was very hit or miss.  I was able to make FaceTime audio calls but no video.  TMobile WiFi calling had worked in the past but that no longer seems to be the case.

Is there any place that is better to sit to get a better connection. We have a student coming with us that has to submit at least a discussion board, and hopefully another assignment. In the past we have had better connection when everyone is in port or late at night. Any suggestions?

28 minutes ago, tytanbri said:

Is there any place that is better to sit to get a better connection.

The connection problems aren't based on where you are onboard (your device's connection to Wifi) but based on where the ship is in the ocean (the ship's satellite connection).

If there is anything that MUST be done, and the internet connection isn't working, you might find good Wifi at one of the ports during the cruise.

• Like 1

The two locations with the best WiFi coverage and speeds were lobby and ocean plaza, my room was hit or miss.  Texting was not a problem as long as there wasn't an attachment, uploading pictures to Instagram or small videos were the major headaches.  At times, some websites failed to load but that was less noticeable.  I can tell you that WiFi/Internet was saturated, you can see folks on their phone 24/7 when walking around.  What really saved me the most was TMobile, free data at all the stops, was able to catchup on my uploads during that time.

Edited by Mr305