Transpacific Brisbane to Seattle April 13, 2023

Mamacat6

On 3/30/2023 at 10:23 AM, mainecruisefan said:

Quick question: did anyone prebuy the wifi package? It is no longer on the website and Carnival is telling me I can't buy it ahead of time and will have to buy it on board. I spent an hour on the phone wasting a lot of time.

The answer they give me is that you can't prebuy Internet on an Australian cruise. Has anyone else had this experience?

Thay always blame Australia for their problems lol.  That statement is in fact incorrect.  But because we are way out to see the satellite service sucks.  Last transpacific in September they didnt have reliable internet and refunded everyones package and made people buy day by day.  They are doing the same this cruise.

This came out by email on Friday ""INTERNET CONNECTIVITY

We have been actively working with our satellite internet providers to ensure adequate bandwidth is available during the voyage. However, because global satellite providers limit coverage to ocean regions, there may be instances when connectivity is slow or interrupted. Please keep this in mind as you make plans to communicate with friends and family.
As a result, we will automatically refund all pre-purchased Wi-Fi packages to the original form of payment. The social, value, and premium plans will still be available for purchase on board at the discounted pre-cruise price, but only on a day-to-day basis.""

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Janet&Carl said:

Thay always blame Australia for their problems lol.  That statement is in fact incorrect.  But because we are way out to see the satellite service sucks.  Last transpacific in September they didnt have reliable internet and refunded everyones package and made people buy day by day.  They are doing the same this cruise.

This came out by email on Friday ""INTERNET CONNECTIVITY

We have been actively working with our satellite internet providers to ensure adequate bandwidth is available during the voyage. However, because global satellite providers limit coverage to ocean regions, there may be instances when connectivity is slow or interrupted. Please keep this in mind as you make plans to communicate with friends and family.
As a result, we will automatically refund all pre-purchased Wi-Fi packages to the original form of payment. The social, value, and premium plans will still be available for purchase on board at the discounted pre-cruise price, but only on a day-to-day basis.""

I pre cruise purchased my wifi package but received a letter from Carnival day before yesterday and said they are refunding all money and will be day by day purchase on ship due to connectivity issues while at sea.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 2:16 PM, haywoodgw said:

Hi all!

This is my first time on Cruise Critic, coming aboard only my second cruise, and cruising solo!  Any other solo cruisers?  Tips? I look forward to seeing you all aboard!

Hello haywoodgw - there are several meet and greets offered on "the offical Carnival Luminosa Transpacific" facebook page;  There is a meet and greet specifically for solo travelers to meet others for the purpose of setting up meal buddies etc...  Its the first sea day at 3pm in the red frog pub.  There are approximately 35 or so solo cruisers already signed up for this meet.  You likely to find someone to chat with, game with or just make up table mates for dinner.

9 hours ago, Suz&Sean said:

It sounds like a souvenir store may have opened in the cruise terminal. I imagine the airport may have some too.

Our airport shops and port chops are much more expensive than if you shop in town.  Lots of discount stores sell souvenirs. (same stuff just cheaper)

4 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

Hello haywoodgw - there are several meet and greets offered on "the offical Carnival Luminosa Transpacific" facebook page;  There is a meet and greet specifically for solo travelers to meet others for the purpose of setting up meal buddies etc...  Its the first sea day at 3pm in the red frog pub.  There are approximately 35 or so solo cruisers already signed up for this meet.  You likely to find someone to chat with, game with or just make up table mates for dinner.

Hello,

Have any card players set up meet times? We don’t use FB. 

On 3/21/2023 at 4:49 AM, Suz&Sean said:

It's been awhile but we love Euchre. You can't be from Indiana if you don't play Euchre! Another fun card game we used to play is Hand and Foot. I don't remember the rules but it just takes regular cards and it is a lot of fun. Has anyone else played it?

We play, and we have 6 decks ready for battle. Plus, we have Mexican Train Dominoes. Saturday, the 2nd sea day sounds GREAT!

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 5:58 PM, EngIceDave said:

How do you pack for this?? LOL

I'm plat, so we'll get the few free bags of laundry, but they're small. 

You plan to hand wash? 

Do you pack to get halfway, wash the most important and then start recycling?

At Plat, you get 5 bags per person on longer cruises. After a few days in Australia, we plan to load a bag right away.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

I didn't know the red frog 3pm meet and greet was just for solo cruisers. Where and when do the rest of us meet? Or do we just crash the party!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wastewateral said:

I didn't know the red frog 3pm meet and greet was just for solo cruisers. Where and when do the rest of us meet? Or do we just crash the party!

I'm ok with a party crash 😉 its open invitation - the other meet and greet is 3pm red frog BAR on pool deck 

2 hours ago, kangforpres said:

NBA playoffs on shipboard TV? I understand they will show what they can at the Sports Bar? TV channel lineup shows no sports networks. It will be the 1st and 2nd rounds during the cruise

Hi, may I ask where you found the channels onboard? Would like to see lineup.....

13 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

I'm ok with a party crash 😉 its open invitation - the other meet and greet is 3pm red frog BAR on pool deck  I should have said boarding day - although most will be doing muster .  Before sailaway at 4pm.

Edited by Janet&Carl

3 hours ago, kangforpres said:

NBA playoffs on shipboard TV? I understand they will show what they can at the Sports Bar? TV channel lineup shows no sports networks. It will be the 1st and 2nd rounds during the cruise

On the last Transpacific we had major sports played on the big screen on pool deck.  They played the AFL (Australian Football League) Final for the Aussies.  I think if you ask the CD they will try to accommodate any  major sports.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kaykayozzie said:

I was told that Muster is done electronically ? Is that true? Kay

On my Hawaiian cruise last year just after I boarded they send you to your muster station and basically show you how to put on your life jacket and then they swipe your card and you're done.  So much better than the old way.  Was very quick, they may have waited for a handful of people I don't remember exactly but it was quick and painless.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 8:53 AM, kaykayozzie said:

more learning to be done. I love learning new things. Maybe that's why I travel. I had to translate for my husband; his Australian accent was so strong nobody could understand him. I also remember translating for some Chinese girls in France, and an English woman in Italy. Her efforts required her to yell louder if they didn't understand. Kay

I had trouble in New York (City) getting someone to understand my Aussie accent, and I am not "ocker".  I was asking the guy if Ninth Street was in that direction or the other one (pointing) after coming up out of the subway and getting disoriented.  I had to listen to a lecture on how avenues ran one way, and streets the other (confused as to why he was telling me all of that) and then asked him again where Ninth Street was.  He then told me there was no NORTH Street.  LOL.  I then said, "no, I need Ninth Street, you know, eight, nine, ten...." he then pointed me in the correct direction.  What a hoot.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, irie0518 said:

On my Hawaiian cruise last year just after I boarded they send you to your muster station and basically show you how to put on your life jacket and then they swipe your card and you're done.  So much better than the old way.  Was very quick, they may have waited for a handful of people I don't remember exactly but it was quick and painless.

And no walking up the stairs because they close the lifts? Hooray. Kay

• Like 1

Absolutely!  I just dread the super long flight.  I have been book shopping like crazy to have plentiful books on my phone, lol.  I am an avid reader and I always have to have something to read before I go to sleep.  Otherwise, my bags are packed and I'm ready!

On 9/9/2022 at 4:53 PM, Prometheus1 said:

Hi there, yes Im booked, my PVP called me and it was an offer too good to pass up. DH will not be able to go and no one else can get the time off. Im solo and determined to go. Airline tickets are a doozy but I consider it a once in a lifetime adventure. Thinking of taking the train from Sydney to Brisbane instead of flying in to Brisbane as my preferred airline does not fly to Brisbane. Im very excited and hope we get a good roll call going. When I booked this cruise the Luminosa was still listed under Costa on CC.

35 minutes ago, Cruz4funinsun said:

Can anyone help with recommendations on where to get the pre covid test prior to the cruise guess has to be 48 hours prior due to length of cruise so I'm told by Carnival - Hoping to get one in Brisbane when I arrive

I think for rapid tests it is 24 hours or less? If you are from the US it seems most health insurance will pay for it and they will just give you 4 tests that you can do yourself when it's the right time. I think people doing this will take a picture of negative covid test along with their passport or other ID and something like a newspaper that shows the date or something like that.

• Like 1