Cruise Passenger Killed by Shark in the Bahamas

JT1962

This is very sad.  My prayers for her family and loved ones. 

But, please, reconsider before you write off snorkeling in the Bahamas.  You'll be missing out on so much beauty and wonder.  It's akin to saying "I'll never cruise because ships can sink".  Shark attacks are extremely rare.  Statistically, you are much more likely to die from:

• Lightning Strike
  • Riding a Bicycle
  • Falling out of bed
  • Being hit on the head by a falling coconut
  • Train Crash
  • Fireworks
  • Bear Attacks
  • Wasps
  • Excessive Cold
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

From what I read, there were "people" feeding the marine life in the area to attract them for good snorkeling and created a feeding frenzy for the bull shark and the woman got caught up in it... I'll be there in January and will not be snorkeling. 

They used to have shark-sighting trips off the coast of Florida where they would chum the water to attract sharks and then people could watch them from the boats or in shark cages.   The sharks soon learned that boat engine motors = feeding time = frenzy time.  Obviously, they didn't distinguish between shark-sighting trips and snorkel trips.  The State shut that down pretty quick.

I've heard that the Bahamas have been doing the same for a long time.  I don't know if they still allow that practice or not.  It is a dangerous thing.

The same thing happens with alligators that get used to people feeding them.  Then you get an incident like what happened at Disney World a few years ago.

Same thing is still going on at National Parks with bears.  I cringe when I see videos of people tossing food to the bears.  What lesson do you think they are learning?