Strange request....

JustRambling

Hi Everyone,

My name is Diana, and I've been visiting these boards for a good 6 months or so. I have kind of a strange request. My 6th grade son has to do a report on a foreign culture. He has some coins from all around the world, but the one he's decided to do the report on is Barbados. He has ONE coin. LOL! He is supposed to bring in 5 things from that culture. I had an idea to print out a recipe that we can make together and he can bring in the "samples" to everyone in the class as well as the recipe. But that's still only 2 things. I was wondering if ANYBODY would be willing to send a postcard to him from Barbados...if you are going within the next few days?? I don't mind paying for postage if you would like. If you would be interested in doing this, please PM me ASAP. I'm not totally sure when he has to present this oral report, but I'm sure it will be within the next couple of weeks. Thanks for any help I can get.

Diana

Some cities have flag stores, maybe you can get a small flag that represents Barbados. Have your son check and see what kinds of foods ie grains,fruit. You might be able to show packaged products from Barbados.If you have a Latin American community somewhere in your area they might have a store that sells those products. He might also look for Famous artist dancers and sports figures. Maybe you can get a newspaper from that country too. He needs to make it neat and know his info. The children love to taste foods from other countries. It is easier if the food does not have to be warmed, check with his teacher. Include plates, napkins any eating and serving utensils. Be sure to label them. He might also want to play music from that country too while the children are enjoying his treat. Hope this helps.

HI there.

I can possibly help, but the timing might be wrong. Let me know when the project is due. I can send a postcard and maybe some coins..except that mail from here can sometimes take 2 weeks to get anywhere.

where in New england are you?? I've just done a similar assignment for my sisters daughters girls scout troop in Barre Vermont.

I gave her some recipes and she also printed some items off the internet for the girls. I'm awaiting the pictures and report of how things went.

Can he looks things up on the internet or do these things have to be "real.. from the country" items??

let me know

Sunnie

Thanks SO much to everyone who has replied. Lots of good ideas and good information. I've printed out a recipe for Conkies to make with him. So as far as food is concerned, I think we are all set with that. I like the idea of getting a newspaper from Barbados though.

I think he can do research on the internet, but the way it sounds, the things he brings in have to be from Barbados....not necessarily BOUGHT in Barbados, but maybe created there or something. Today, he was supposed to ask his teacher when exactly he's supposed to do the oral report, so I know how much time he has, but they are all preparing for the big statewide testing that is required by the state, so he didn't get a chance to do that. They will be doing that testing this coming week, so I'm sure they won't be doing the reports next week at all.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone.

Sunniebgi - I'm sending you an PM here in a minute.

Thank you,

Diana

Hmmm.....I'm not seeing a way to PM you Sunnie....could you please email me at justnicksmommy at snet dot net ? And just make sure "Barbados" is in the subject line so I don't accidentally delete it. I'd sure appreciate it.

Diana

Archived