Wingate SeaTac?

Bruin Steve

Anyone ever stayed there?

Looking for a hotel for one night pre-cruise next August.  Looks to be a newer "standard" chain airport hotel.  Hotels.com has it at "8.8/Excellent".  On Google, 53% of the reviews were 5 star, another 27% were 4 star. TripAdvisor has it at sort of a middling level, but, reading through the 53 reviews, over half gave it 5 stars...the 10 "Terrible" reviews all seemed to have something sort of irrelevant to complain about (one-off issues like their car was vandalized in the lot, they didn't have a room for early check-in, the person who forgot their eyeglasses at the hotel and the hotel didn't find the glasses for them, their airport shuttle was late...or the ones complaining that the free buffet breakfast was more like continental breakfast)...I can live with those.

I'd rather stay closer to the port for the next morning convenience, but Downtown area hotels seem to be running around double...and, since we're only getting in the afternoon before, it's not like we're sightseeing in Seattle.  I assume there are easy options for transportation to the pier and back to SeaTac after the cruise?

Thanks...

Edited by Bruin Steve

• 5 months later...

I cannot tell you anything about the hotel itself, but the area is not ideal. As long as you don’t plan to explore outside of the hotel, I’m sure it would be fine. We have stayed near an airport (Hobby in Houston) before and we just didn’t venture very far. It was good enough for just one night. Have a wonderful cruise!

I've never stayed there, but I am not a Wyndham fan in general. I have stayed at various Hilton brands at SeaTac, the Hilton, DoubleTree and Hampton Inn, and they were all fine. I also really like the Home2Suites by Hilton, near the Westfield Southcenter.

7 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

For anyone who stumbles across this:  the hotel has changed ownership and brands and is now the Zone Hotel Seattle Airport and is available via the Marriott Bonvoy reservations network. 

Thanks for letting me know...I never got notified by Wyndham, Marriott or the hotel.  I called Marriot tonight and the guy, at first, didn't even know they had something named "Zone Hotel".  It doesn't show up as one of Marriott's "brands" on their website.  The guy finally did some searching and "found" the htel, then found my reservation--a completely different reservation number than on my original Wyndham confirmation.  I looked it up on the Marriott system...The base room rate was the same.  Somehow, the taxes went up from what i had originally been confirmed as by about $2...not a big deal.  But the "free breakfast" that shows up on my original confirmation has disappeared.  The guy said he'd contact the hotel about it and they would get back to me in 2-5 days....

I checked the current room rates for the same room (with breakfast) on the Marriott site and it is now approximately DOUBLE my reservation price ($181--or is it $183--versus the current $360!!!).  For $360, I could have multiple really nice hotel choices in Downtown.

They’re in the process of turning it into a Courtyard based on the property code so breakfast won’t be free (not even for me as an Unobtanium Elite - I get $10), but I suspect it’s going to be a few months. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

Basic history:  Booked Wingate by Windham some time ago for one-night pre-cruise stay August 20.  Booking included "Free Breakfast".

Without ANY notice, hotel changed afilliation to Marriott, CURRENLTLY operating as "Zone Hotel SeaTac".

After series of phone calls, Marriott located reservation in system.  Sent email confirming.  However, email did NOT mention "free breakfast", website says "Breakfast available $13 per person".  BTW, multiple Zone Hotel reviews say "you can find a better breakfast in the dumpster outside the 7/11 ccross the street".

Well, I contacted Marriott again, escalating it to executive offices.  All I asked for is for my "free breakfast" to be reinstated as per my CONFIRMED original reservation.  They told me they DO NOT include breakfast.  I noted that the Marriott website actually has two different rates--one without breakfast, the other including breakfast.  The difference in price between the two...DURING the phone call...was $20.  I was told they would get back to me.

FOUR  DAYS AGO, I received a phone call AND an email.  Was told (by voice AND in writing by email) that Marriot was settling the matter, if acceptable to me, by crediting my Visa card with $26.  I said "okay".

Crazy.  All they had to do was to change the code on the reservation to the "with breakfast" rate.  I know the hotel/restaurant business (I started my career working with major hotel and restaurant chains).  There is NO WAY the food cost per person on their breakfast buffet comes anywhere close to $10, let alone $13.   And we're heading out on a cruise...we are NOT pigging out at their low-rent "buffet.  A glass of OJ and a croissant, perhaps?

PLUS, to make it more bizarre, if they send me a $26 credit IN ADVANCE of our hotel stay, nothing even guarantees that we stay there.  We can cancel up to 24 hours in advance!

Well, they call back the next day.  They say, for some reason, they can't do a "credit"...Instead they'll send me a Marriott "E-gift card" for $26.  It will come via email.  I'm still waiting...hopefully it comes in a few days.

Also, they sent me an "Official" Marriott email confirmation.  The email "letterhead" and all of the advertising following tjhe terms of the reservation ALL say "COURTYARD by MARRIOTT"...

Hmmmmmmm.  The reservation is for three months from now.  According to a recent review, the hotel itself lacks identifying signage at present.   I wonder...

• Haha 1

personally I would give this a rethink.  

traffic into Seattle in the morning can be beastly with rush hour potentially lasting until 10 or later.  you can consider using the light rail then getting an Uber / Lyft.  By staying in town, you have pleasant dinner and breakfast options and ample car hire to the dock

not sure your budget but Max, Paramount, Monaco, Arctic Club, Sorrento, Hilton Garden Inn on Boren and Stewart would be my choices.  You don't have to worry about breakfast buffets since the local coffee shops with contenental breakfast fare are ubiquitous , if you wish

might be worth paying a little more to make your experience a little more assured and pleasant

55 minutes ago, Meander Ingwa said:

personally I would give this a rethink.  

traffic into Seattle in the morning can be beastly with rush hour potentially lasting until 10 or later.  you can consider using the light rail then getting an Uber / Lyft.  By staying in town, you have pleasant dinner and breakfast options and ample car hire to the dock

not sure your budget but Max, Paramount, Monaco, Arctic Club, Sorrento, Hilton Garden Inn on Boren and Stewart would be my choices.  You don't have to worry about breakfast buffets since the local coffee shops with contenental breakfast fare are ubiquitous , if you wish

might be worth paying a little more to make your experience a little more assured and pleasant

Most of the hotels in Downtown Seattle more than double my one night hotel cost.  I can afford it, I just don't want to do it just to miss some traffic.

OTOH, I do have a few points with Hilton and Marriott...So, by using up my points and adding some cash, I can get:

Hilton Garden Inn for $148 +points

Homewood Suites for $153 +points

Hampton Inn for $138 +points

Fairfield Inn for $175 +Marriott points and use that $26 ecard to bring it down to $149...

Springhill Suites for $166 +Marriott points and use that $26 ecard to bring it down to $140...

What do you think of those options?

Thanks. Done.  Changed to the Fairfield. Points rate went down 1,000, so I could buy the extra points for $166.   Marriott made it impossible to apply the $26 eCard though, so, now I'm stuck with an eCard I can ONLY use at the front desk of a Marriott hotel for charges, etc....but cannot use it to pre-pay a reservation or to buy Marriott points to turn right back to them for a reservation.  CRAZY!  At least I save about $17 over the Zone, get breakfast included and use those soon-to-expire points.  And, hopefully, a nicer hotel in a better location.

We'll Uber from SeaTac to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier, I suppose.  And, since our plane gets in at around 11:00 am, we'll have a little time to do something in Downtown Seattle that afternoon.

• Like 1

didn't realize the name change but I had stayed at the Wyngate and was super impressed.  Brkfst wasn't exciting but it was free and rooms were great.

use

seattleexpress.com

for airport transport for hotel to pier and back to seatac.