La Spezia

happy v

1 hour ago, happy v said:

I would like to thank you both for your input regarding our Cinque Terre visit. Just letting you know it all went to plan and we had an excellent day. We visited four towns. Missing the middle one as advised. If we are lucky enough to go to La Spezia again we will take the ferry and only visit one town. Megabear I think you will be amused that the destination board at our first station was reporting 'due to strike action trains could be delayed or cancelled!' Luckily the companies involved were not the ones we were booked with. Anyway thanks again for your help it was very much appreciated.

Thanks.  Good to hear from you and I'm so pleased it all worked out well happy v.  I'd been thinking of you and hoping you enjoyed your visit to the Cinque Terre - also that you found the cruise experience everything you hoped for.  Sounds as though it was! 

It was strange how apprehensive I was to put my toe in the water again.  I enjoyed our cruise too (until it was somewhat curtailed) and now feel more relaxed about going again - but that's not until next June. Have you got anything else in the pipe-line? 

5 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Thanks.  Good to hear from you and I'm so pleased it all worked out well happy v.  I'd been thinking of you and hoping you enjoyed your visit to the Cinque Terre - also that you found the cruise experience everything you hoped for.  Sounds as though it was! 

It was strange how apprehensive I was to put my toe in the water again.  I enjoyed our cruise too (until it was somewhat curtailed) and now feel more relaxed about going again - but that's not until next June. Have you got anything else in the pipe-line? 

We are on Iona in March and Arcadia in August. So not destined to meet you any time soon!

I see you are back, and enjoyed your cruise.

How was the train trip to Cinque Terre?  Any updates or advice for the train?

We will be visiting La Spezia in 2024 on Arvia, and finding this page and seeing photos around the corridors on Enchanted Princess has made this our trip for the day.

I think we will probably look at doing the train.

1 hour ago, jaydee6969 said:

I see you are back, and enjoyed your cruise.

How was the train trip to Cinque Terre?  Any updates or advice for the train?

We will be visiting La Spezia in 2024 on Arvia, and finding this page and seeing photos around the corridors on Enchanted Princess has made this our trip for the day.

I think we will probably look at doing the train.

The train was excellent

We bought a day pass before we went. This means you can go straight to the platform. The queues at the ticket machine are quite large so it is a lot easier

The trains are very large double deckers so room for everyone. Very frequent 10-20 mins.

We got a taxi to the train station 15 euros. Coming back we just walked back to the ship. It's easier on the return. Downhill and stop before you hit the sea!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, happy v said:

The train was excellent

We bought a day pass before we went. This means you can go straight to the platform. The queues at the ticket machine are quite large so it is a lot easier

The trains are very large double deckers so room for everyone. Very frequent 10-20 mins.

We got a taxi to the train station 15 euros. Coming back we just walked back to the ship. It's easier on the return. Downhill and stop before you hit the sea!

I'm very glad you had a great time.   You're right, I had a great laugh about the strikes, they seem to be following me as when I arrived back in UK from Italy there was one here as well.

For anyone planning on using Cinque Terre express it runs peak season only which I recall was end of March to end October.  The other half hourly Trenitalia trains run all year.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1