Insurance

McLawyer

Cruise on MSC Opera, October 16, 2022, out of Genoa.  I read one post where someone was required to get insurance but then on embarkation, no one asked to see it.  If I need insurance, what kind to I need and can I get it online?  I am American, double vaccinated and double boosted.  Thank you. 

12 minutes ago, McLawyer said:

Cruise on MSC Opera, October 16, 2022, out of Genoa.  I read one post where someone was required to get insurance but then on embarkation, no one asked to see it.  If I need insurance, what kind to I need and can I get it online?  I am American, double vaccinated and double boosted.  Thank you. 

Insurance has not been required since July 1st for US pax on European cruises.  It's right in the Health and Safety section on MSC website.

1 hour ago, McLawyer said:

There’s a great section here on CC that talks about different travel insurances.  

MSC’s travel insurance for our upcoming cruise was $480. I paid $158 for better coverage through a different company. 

Check out that board there is a lot of helpful info there. 
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Edited by styles27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise5life said:

Never travel without insurance.     Especially out of the country. Just sayin.

recent example 

https://abc13.com/houston-woman-stuck-in-montego-bay-jamaica-carnival-vista-cruise/12217285/

Completely agree. We don’t buy travel insurance so much for the cancellation reimbursement as we do for the medical evacuation if God forbid we ever need it.  
I’ve seen way too many people airlifted off ships or transferred to a coast guard boat in the middle of the ocean. 

That can take a huge chunk of money from our retirement fund so we would rather spend a couple hundred dollars on insurance…hopefully we never have to use it but it’s there if we need it. 

4 hours ago, styles27 said:

Completely agree. We don’t buy travel insurance so much for the cancellation reimbursement as we do for the medical evacuation if God forbid we ever need it.  
I’ve seen way too many people airlifted off ships or transferred to a coast guard boat in the middle of the ocean. 

That can take a huge chunk of money from our retirement fund so we would rather spend a couple hundred dollars on insurance…hopefully we never have to use it but it’s there if we need it. 

I have a big trip coming up in January. B2B2b 29 days total. And I got cruise line insurance and I’m also adding an annual medical supplement policy.   Gives me 250k/500k evac/medical coverage.  For 151.00.   Worth every penny for piece of mind.   

• Like 2