best jewlery prices in St. thomas? Where?

rabidewok

We like Avanta. I think that's the name. It's in one of the little hallways, and it's always busy. We go every time we're there. We were recommended, and people we've talked to say the same. :) (Be sure you haggle over the price...they will come down!) :)

I always recommend GRAND JEWELERS to anyone I know who is going to St. Thomas. I have bought some wonderful pieces from them, gold and diamonds, for the past six years and have never had a problem. I will be going there in two weeks and can hardly wait. If you go ask for Navin.

Friends of ours also go to Trident jewelers but I have never dealt with them but they recommend them highly also.

Since 1980, I have been using LIBERTY JEWELERS at 31 Drake Passage. Had items appraised that I purchased there after I returned home and found that I DID get bargains. I can e-mail him (Chad) a discription of an item; he will respond with pictures and prices and for $10 postage and insurance, he will send. :)

I'm not sure what jewelry you're looking for, but watches aren't really worth getting in port anymore. I aspired to get a good deal on either a Movado or Philip Stein, and although the stores in St. Thomas/Maarten were cheaper than local jewelers, the best prices can be found on the Internet. Amazon.com seems to destroy the jewelers in terms of price. It will be interesting to see how the jewelery industry in the islands changes in the next several years as more and more people turn to the Internet for their needs.

For custom jewelry, loose diamonds, etc. you still can't go wrong with island stores though from my limited observations.

Archived