Where to leave passports?

TxRev

While cavetubing or snorkeling or participating in any water activity, what to do with ID and passports you don't want to leave behind or get wet?

Can you take only a copy of passport ashore or is that not enough for foreign ports? I understand you can leave personal items on the bus while tubing, but I don't wish to leave passport. Suggestions?

Ok-I am a mom and became the designated hold it for everyone person. I take care of all sign and sail cards, passports and money whenever there is water involved.

A few years ago I located a completely waterproof bag at a sporting goods store that had lots of camping/hiking supplies (Dick's).

Basically it appears as a dark blue vinyl bag, with webing straps that snap around you like a fanny pack. However the opening of the bag rolls down and then folds back on itself. It has proven water tight enough for my digital camera, and protecting it from sand. This also gives me a better sense of security at the beach not having to watch our belongings constantly.

Being cautious I still double bag passports in ziplocs inside it. The only time I got water inside it was when I decided to try and take photos while lying on a floating mat snorkeling--me bad, a wave wacked me--just damp items, but now learn leave it closed!

DH and I did cavetubing with a private company and everyone left their stuff in the vans (there is security). We didn't bring our passports (only our ship cards and driver's liscence). DH carried them in one of those little plastic watersafes and zipped it in his bathing suit.

Our money got a bit damp, but no big deal.

I have always left our passports in the safe while ashore, but recent cc board opinions have indicated that foreign ports do not have to honor copies of passports. I know we will have our boarding passes as well, but has anyone ever been denied re-boarding because of not having original passports? All we have ever had to show before was our ss cards. Our whole group is waiting for your opinions, cruisers. This is the first time this question has come up in all of our travels. We have had visa troubles trying to get out of Africa after 911, and know how picky some foreign countries can be. We are all now scrambling to find some sort of waterproof wallets for ids. Thanks for all your ideas. We were just trying to decide if we take the copies and risk getting questioned by some government official or just trying to put originals in baggies to cavetube.

Hello,

Just got off the NCL Sun. Our passports were siezed by the Cruise Line as we are Canadian. I got off at all 4 ports and used only my sign and sail card to reboard. I did have b&w copies of passports but was never asked to show them.

I would not take a real passport tubing even in a ziplock back. I would leave it on ship. If you feel you must have "real ID" bring a drivers licence or medial card that is hard plastic.

Have fun, tubing was awesome!

I have always left our passports in the safe while ashore, but recent cc board opinions have indicated that foreign ports do not have to honor copies of passports. I know we will have our boarding passes as well, but has anyone ever been denied re-boarding because of not having original passports? All we have ever had to show before was our ss cards. Our whole group is waiting for your opinions, cruisers. This is the first time this question has come up in all of our travels. We have had visa troubles trying to get out of Africa after 911, and know how picky some foreign countries can be. We are all now scrambling to find some sort of waterproof wallets for ids. Thanks for all your ideas. We were just trying to decide if we take the copies and risk getting questioned by some government official or just trying to put originals in baggies to cavetube.

What I've gathered from the boards and my trips (caribbean, western europe) is that the problem doesn't come up if everything goes smoothly. The problem comes up if you miss the ship and are left standing in a foreign country with no credit cards, passport, money, etc.

Since no one plans to miss the ship I'd rather take care of my possessions and have them with me than assume that I won't miss the boat.

Archived