Specific questions Nieuw Statendam - new to HAL

grouchomarx

First trip on HAL coming up in a few weeks and I have some specific questions about Nieuw Statendam (7 day Caribbean):

Will I need to make MDR reservations once onboard or will walking up around 7:30 get me a table for 2 without a long wait?

Are tables for 2 hard to get in MDR?  Will they try to make you share with strangers?

Is MDR open for lunch on embarkation day?

How is service in MDR compared to specialty restaurants?  In my cruising history it’s never as good, not even close, but perhaps HAL has a higher standard.  (I find specialty dining service much like that in a land based restaurant, whereas MDR is more of a machine and you get served drinks and food at the pace that works best for them, which is often not what works best for me. For example, if I order a certain drink to have with a certain course, it often won’t arrive on time to pair with the food.). This is based on Princess, Celebrity, RCI, and NCL cruises.

If our booking came with the standard drink package included, is it eligible to upgrade to Elite once onboard?

Are the Retreat cabanas hot and stuffy in the Caribbean or do they catch a breeze?  And is it possible to snag one for just a day or you must do the whole week to secure a spot?

Is it hard to get single day thermal suite pass?  

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice.

Currently on board NS. It’s virtually impossible to get a table for 2 unless you go at 5 or after 8. Service last night was quite slow but it was the first night. Wait staff was very pleasant, and while we prefer a table for 2 we did have nice dining companions. Specialty restaurants are generally better service. Dining room was not open for lunch but lots of room in Lido and a decent choice of dishes.

It is possible to upgrade the drink package on board but you must do it before you order any drinks. Personally I think it is a waste of money since the regular package includes top shelf liquor (unless you are a whisky drinker) & the wine selection is poor.

2 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

Do they take reservations in MDR?  I cannot book it online but thought maybe onboard day 1 I could try.  I don’t wish to sit with strangers but I want to try the MDR since I heard the food is so good.

Yes.  Once you are onboard, you can do that.  Great ship; I spent about 3 weeks sailing with NS last winter.  

• Like 1