Capt Marvin - At your own risk

RAC214

I just wanted to share a story with everyone. My wife and I did the 3 stop snorkel with Capt Marvin on 2/17. There were about 30 or so people on our trip. The only name I remember was Ziggy from VIP productions who was in training to video tape our trip. Anyway, at the second stop, at the barrier reef, we were almost left behind in the water.

We began the 2nd stop at approx. 1115 AM and were told we would be at the spot for 1/2hr" Cayman time". My wife and I were having a great time when I said to her, " Lets get back to the boat." It was 1135. We looked back from about 50 yrds away, and saw our boat leaving. We began screaming and waving. Another boat saw us and began to wave to our boat and point to us. They finally stopped and waited for us to get on. At the next stop, Sting Ray City, the Capt came over to us and said, " Sorry about that guys, but we counted twice." Now I'm not sure what that meant, because he could have counted 100 times. We were still in the water and not on the boat.

I know mistakes happen, and there was plenty of other boats around us, so we were not in any real danger, but this is where I get really mad. After the Capt apologized, two men who were sitting next to us, told us that they told the crew, that we were not on the boat. I'll repeat this to make it clear. The crew was told that 2 people were not on the boat and yet they were going to leave. These 2 men were told that we were in the bathroom. Why not check? We were not in the bathroom.

Sorry Capt. Marvin. We booked you after reading good things about you on Cruise Critic. You run a nice snorkel trip, but this was disgraceful.

So to everyone who books Capt Marvin, beware and watch the boat constantly.

Wow, we've used CM's twice, and never had a problem. They always did a head count before leaving. I'm going to forward this post to CM's and ask them about this. They were just so professional and helpful, that I find this hard to believe. But they should be aware of this and take action against the crew members.

But I will say, that we plan on using them again next winter when we are in GC.

twinkletoes....will you post a thread if you get an answer about this? I'm curious too!:rolleyes:

I will do that. We've used them twice, and had a marvelous time. Both times, the crew watched us closely, and counted to make sure everyone was there. We're planning on using them the next time we are in GC...in fact, we'll use them every time we are there.

However, it would be weird (and scary) thinking you are about to be left behind.

Holy crap...this would freak me out!

Wow...just wow!

I am sorry for you!

Although this kind of thing could happen with any tour operator if the group got too big! That would totally wig me out!

I would of been afraid to get off the boat again at the sandbar!!!!

I cannot believe the fellow passengers would have let them even start to leave if they knew you weren't on the boat! HELLO!

It would have been mutiny if I had been there!

I am glad you got back okay!

Wow, that's terrible! What a disappointing scare to have in your day. I assume you would have contacted Captain Marvin's directly upon your return to further discuss this incident...what was their response?

Ok, thats three of us going on the 4th, Smokiebk, what time are you scheduled to go, first time in the am? That's when we're going. I guess if we're the first to go, if we are left behind we know there will be an second tour coming so we could catch a ride back.....but still.....yike:eek: ....are you on carvnival smokiebk?

Ok, thats three of us going on the 4th, Smokiebk, what time are you scheduled to go, first time in the am? That's when we're going. I guess if we're the first to go, if we are left behind we know there will be an second tour coming so we could catch a ride back.....but still.....yike:eek: ....are you on carvnival smokiebk?

We're on the first Half-day tour (10-1pm I think). I'm not too, too worried, as I'm sure there are tons of boats around...scary nonetheless. Yes, we're on the Carnival Valor. You?

Hi folks, I was just checking back from my original post and wish to add a few thoughts. Some of you are questioning whether this happened. Good for you. You should take everything you read here on CC with a grain of salt. What happened is exactly as described.

If this incident did not take place, I would have had high praise for Capt. Marvin. We were on the NCL Dawn that left New York during the blizzard of 06. Our itinerary was pushed back a day and Capt Marvin changed our reservation. They were great to deal with. The tour itself saved us money from the ships excursion and it was really good. Sting Ray City was one of the highlights of our cruise. When the Capt.apologized, I believe he was truely sincere and upset. I'm not naive enough to think that this does not happen to all tours from time to time. We did swim away from the group, however I was watching the time carefully. As I said, at no time were we really in any danger because there were several boats within easy swimming distance. It was not like the movie OPEN WATER. My big problem was that they were told we were not on the boat and didn't check. This was truely disgraceful.

Travelworks - my wife had the same reaction. When we got onto the sandbar at Sting Ray City, my wife got in the Capt.s face and said, " You see this face, make sure it's on the damn boat before you leave." We all did laugh.

I learned a lot on CC before this cruise and decided to return the favor. I made my displeasure known to the Capt., I did not leave a tip for the mates, and I posted my review here. I did not make a stink at the office on return, nor did I write to Capt. Marvin with our complaint. Where does all that get you. Looking back, we now have a great story to tell.

I will add, if my daughter was with us, and this had happened, I would have thrown the Capt. and his mates in the water and left them there.:) . It was a good tour, just watch the boat.

We're on the Miracle but we'll see ya on the boat, it's earlier than that I think, 9ish.....Let's make ourselves known to other passengers, hopefully they wont let the boat leave without us....like I said, we'd catch another boat but that's a concern and the first negative thing I've heard about Marvins....:(

I did not make a stink at the office on return, nor did I write to Capt. Marvin with our complaint. Where does all that get you.

Well, you, it'd get you nowhere. It wouldn't change a thing. However, I think it would be important for the company management to be alerted to what occurred so they could address the importance of both counting AND listening to passengers on future voyages.

I think it's worth dropping them a line...if it were my company, I'd want to know that my staff had done such an irresponsible thing since what transpired is a pretty big black mark on my company's reputation. Just MHO.

Scorpiorose--

Welcome to the "group" that has formed from Carnival Miracle.

I seem to have talked this up so much we have three families and you?

We are doing early short tour from Carnival Miracle april 4th --is that yours?

Check on roll call Miracle april 2nd for long link.

Buffetfan,iamsaz,sbbcruz all going--are tour boat will sure not leave anyone--hence the buddy system! All for one and one for all.

-Buffetfan (suzy) anyone else??

To the OP...I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you! We went with Capt. Marvin in January and had a great time.

I did watch the movie Open Water last fall (BAD movie, btw!) and did a little online research after hearing that the movie was based on a true story. I found that this type of thing happens much, much more than people are aware of. It is really scary.

I definitely would have told them at the office what happened. I'm sure that Capt. Marvin's does NOT want such careless people working for them. Cruisers and tourists are what they are in business for and word gets around. Too many lost tourists and complaints and they will be out of business.

I, personally, will not hesitate to use Captain Marvin on my next cruise, but I will keep an eye on the boat.:eek:

Wow! That is scary! Anyone see the movie "Open Water"...???...Exactly the same thing and based on a true story. Not such a fortunate outcome in the movie though.

I do not think it matters who you book your excursion with, you still need to be looking out for yourself and loved ones. These guys run these boats day in and day out and its only human nature to slack off on the procedures at times. Of course, some operators will have higher standards than others but when it comes down to it, we need to be aware and observant in these situations. This story will remind us all to be more cautious.

Thank goodness they heard you yelling and were able to get back safely.

We also went on a Captain Marin 3 stop tour and added Hell and the turtle farm after it.

We too were surprised that there were around 30 people on board. I had always read that they had less people. We were told that they combined 2 trips!

We were late getting started since we had to wait for a mini van full of people to get registered on the dock.

When we did start we were told they would make it up to us.

We were told not to go further than a life buoy that they threw out attached to a 50' line.

They were very careful to count all the people.

While the trip was great, we were disappointed by the number of people on the trip.

Our only problem was once we got back for our Hell and Turtle tour we were already late and the tour guide, who was great, told us she had to wait for some other people who were still out on another boat.

We waited 45min before I said we would miss our boat. She then got the OK to take just us.

We had to rush and cut the trip short to make it back on time.

I contacted Captain Marvin's when I got back and they apologized for the delay and said they shouldn't have waited more than 5 minutes to start our tour.

They did refund 2 of 3 of our fees for the Hell and Turtle Trip.

Archived