Eden Rock , Grand Cayman review

Rapsmac

We were looking for a cheaper day out with the kids and this turned out to be a great spot. My kids, a DD9 DD7 DS7,are all good swimmers. We brought our cheap snorkel gear with us. Eden Rock was a short walk to the right from the dock (about two blocks). There were a few places to enter the water, we picked one that had a small beach and beach chairs. (Right next to a small bar/restaurant with a bathroom. Lockers are available as well.) Renting the chairs was not necessary as the area was not crowded but for $4 US you are guaranteed a chair. If you rent equipment, a beach chair is free. No charge to use the entrance. As soon as you put your face in the water there are fish everywhere. 4ft Tarpin to little Nemo and all his freinds. The kids loved it. If you venture away from the entrance, the water can get deep(45ft) but most of the area was 15-20ft. I read about Eden Rock on this site and would like to say thanks to those who informed me about it. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

Thanks for the review.

Eden Rock was actually an area suggested to me on another board for some good, quick afternoon snorkel. We are likely going to do the stingray tour in the morning, but wanted a good place to go in the afternoon (if we weren't tired and had time)...this was good to hear.

How crowded did it get for you all though?

We hung out most of the day and people came and went all day. The restaurant was more crowded than the beach/snorkel area. Keep in mind, this is a very rocky beach and beach shoes would be good. There were some people that were on the ship with us that came to Eden Rock after the stingray tour and had plenty of time to snorkel. (and they told us later that they preferred the snorkeling there to the stingray tour) The tenders are only a few blocks away within walking distance so there is no worry of traffic jams to get back to them. Just make sure you are in line to get to the tenders before the last one leaves. It was not really crowded at all. When we first arrived there was a group that went out together from the snorkel rental, (85US/PP Guided Tour). I talked to them when some of them got back and they did not see anything on the tour that we did not see on our own. To top it off, shopping is right across the street.

Hope this helps.

Tell me more about Eden Rock. Our kids are 11 and 7 and they are good swimmers too. Is the water at the entrance shallow at all or do you drop off suddenly. You mentioned that you can see fish as soon as you enter the water--can you stand and watch the fish or are you in deep water? Thanks for your advise. We will be there on April 13th.

Tell me more about Eden Rock. Our kids are 11 and 7 and they are good swimmers too. Is the water at the entrance shallow at all or do you drop off suddenly. You mentioned that you can see fish as soon as you enter the water--can you stand and watch the fish or are you in deep water? Thanks for your advise. We will be there on April 13th.

You can snorkel right from the EDEN's ROCK dive shop there...

In 2003, we just rented a locker for $5 bucks and jumped in and snorkeled for free....

It is only a 5 minute walk from the pier where you tender into....

We of course had our own snorkel equipment with us....so the snorkeling was free...

My dad and brothers dived there for around $45 a piece in 2003...if I remember right...

Afterwards we went to Public Beach on 7 mile Beach for around $4 per person each way....

Great day...when you are on a tight budget...

Here are some pictures because they are better than words.

Pictures at Eden's Rock:

21960_2095_10660711_1140549730md982c3fee3f47d4753c85454cd2de1c9f.jpg

21961_2095_10660712_1140549735mde63ffd9a02e5c3be643907598f47c3ed.jpg

21962_2095_10660713_1140549737mdef01ee0f1b79af0efacc79f7c55b72b5.jpg

Pictures at 7 Mile:

21959_2095_10660710_1140549727mdcd06e441508016c70c2ee551ff2f6d72.jpg

21958_2095_10660709_1140549726mdf64313673964e3dccd1fdd8c15ed2b99.jpg

Does this look crowded to you???? Smile!

• 4 months later...

We will be in GC from &am- 2pm. Definatly want to do sting reay city. Undicided about a tour that does 3 stops or just doing our own thing off the beach. 1st time in GC want the best and most natural snorkeling environment. please help there are so many choises

Archived