Was I spoiled by the NCL Jewel ship?

CanadaGuyEh

My very first cruise EVER was on the Norwegian Jewel - 7 days - Vancouver to Alaska and Back  - in October 2022.    Ship was 1/2 full - 1,400 passengers someone said.   The ship was amazing - mostly because the pools were empty (and they were heated to 86 degrees so they were warm) and no lines at all at Buffet.  Easy to book specialty dining.  Show up at theatre - always a seat.   And best part was the Spinnaker Lounge - the views were so amazing - sat in there many hours and just watched the scenery - was like having my own balcony  - was never busy.   

I leave on November 8 on the Getaway  - from what I read its a much bigger ship - has no lounge in the front for the views etc.   I pick where I go by the itinerary not the ship so I know this will be different.   I will like it of course?

• Like 1

Our first NCL ship was the Jewel, after sailing our first two cruises on Royal. It got us hooked on NCL's freestyle cruising. We've sailed on many different NCL ships, but love the Jewel class ships. For us, they are the perfect size and have all the amenities that we want. 

• Like 2

Many of us place our focus on ships with nice observation lounges.  I've learned that over time.  Our first three cruises were POA, Pearl and Epic.  We, like many others, really like the Jewel class ships for the reasons you stated.  Same reason we gravitate toward the three newest Breakaway Plus ships (Joy, Bliss, Encore).  The only future cruise I currently have booked without an observation lounge is a 2024 POA (assuming they get that mess figured out in the next year or so).  IMHO, you just can't beat an AK cruise on a ship with a nice observation lounge.  I literally could just do those the rest of my life and I would be just fine.  😎

• Like 3

I have sailed both the Jewel and the Getway.  The Getaway has a lot to offer in the way of different restuarants and entertainment.  On the Getaway, the Waterfront (outside deck area) is a perfect place to watch the ocean roll by.

I love the Getaway as much as I love the Jewel.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

On the Getaway, the Waterfront (outside deck area) is a perfect place to watch the ocean roll by.

Doesn't that depend upon the weather?  With the Joy/Bliss/Encore you can have your cake (Waterfront) and eat it too (observation lounges). 😎 

Haven passengers: please disregard.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CanadaGuyEh said:

My very first cruise EVER was on the Norwegian Jewel - 7 days - Vancouver to Alaska and Back  - in October 2022.    Ship was 1/2 full - 1,400 passengers someone said.   The ship was amazing - mostly because the pools were empty (and they were heated to 86 degrees so they were warm) and no lines at all at Buffet.  Easy to book specialty dining.  Show up at theatre - always a seat.   And best part was the Spinnaker Lounge - the views were so amazing - sat in there many hours and just watched the scenery - was like having my own balcony  - was never busy.   

I leave on November 8 on the Getaway  - from what I read its a much bigger ship - has no lounge in the front for the views etc.   I pick where I go by the itinerary not the ship so I know this will be different.   I will like it of course?

Hi CGE,

We've cruised several times on the Jewel and love that ship.  We've cruised several times on the Getaway and we love that ship.  Yes, you will notice differences, and hopefully you'll enjoy most of those differences.  

However, since your last cruise (which was your first cruise) had a lower passenger count, your upcoming cruise on the Getaway will most likely feel significantly different since there will probably be a higher passenger count (mainly since the ship is larger and this would be a popular itinerary).  And obviously, this will make for a pretty different vibe throughout the ship.

However, the Getaway is a great ship and can't believe you wouldn't enjoy cruising on her.

Hope you have a great time!

• Like 1