Souvenir Collections

westernmom

I started with the shot glasses. Had to put some away, way to many. Said I wasn't going to collect anymore but when I hit Alcatraz and saw the prisoner climbing out of the shot glass I was hooked again.

Some things I have done to the computor room/travel room was collect hats from different countries and hung them around the window. The grandkids love to play with them when they come over.

Took the pictures of the ships and the landmarks of each country, with us in the pictures, and made a border around the room. All we have to do is look up and we can see the fun and beautiful places we have been.

Also have started collecting art from different places and hanging in the laundry room. Who knows what famous artist I have hanging in there! :D:

• 4 weeks later...

I have to confess - I couldn't resist the bright colored embroidered bags from every island we went to! They were such a great deal that I had to buy a bunch of them for all of my girls, granddaughters, friends, etc! And then I had to keep at least one of each.

• 4 weeks later...

Years ago on the first cruise I decided to collect shot glasses, and now have a very large collection. I also collect them from areas I am in when traveling the states by car.

Must have a ballcap from each port we land at

Magnets of course, we can't hardly see the front of the fridge anymore

And most important of all is the many memories the wife and I will always have to share.:)

We collect caps and magnets from all ships that we have cruised on and all ports we have visited. We also collect the ceramic models which are about 10" in length and are only available in the gift shop onboard the ship, and you can only purchase the model of a particular ship when you are sailing on that ship. We are missing both Star and Sapphire Princess from our collection. We are always looking on EBAY for these models but any help would be appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

I have really enjoyed reading this thread! There are some really great ideas floating around out there. I have collected beer cans for over thirty years, and display them on shelves in my pool table room; seems to fit in well. I also collect fridge magnets and Christmas ornaments, as well as odd liquor bottles (nice to know that I am not the only one who enjoys ‘browsing’ in a liquor store:D ). I like the idea of collecting sand from the beaches, and I have to admit the ‘toilet paper squares’ :eek: was something very different, and I had to laugh about that one. I hope that more people post on this subject, as I have enjoyed all of your ideas very much!

My parents were big travelers and they believed in having travel collections. While I was growing up I collected ethnic dolls, glass animals, silver charms for my bracelet and foreign money from every place we went. My parents now have only 1 collection (aside from obsessive photography); they collect wooden birds whenever they go someplace tropical. They hang them over their hot tub at home and have named every one.

My husband and I now collect Christmas ornaments. It's my hope that someday we'll have so many that we'll have to decorate a separate "travel tree".

My mom started a postcard collection years ago to use in her classroom. I have had a keychain collection since 4th grade (i'm in college) and last year my friend and I started collecting shot glasses(my aunt has a huge collection).

I have a keychain collection up at:

http://blane101.tripod.com/keychain.html

I am planning to put it up for auction at EBay, but will sell it outright if I get a decent offer. E-Mail me if you are interested. Use keychain in the subject line.

I collect key chains and magnets from everywhere I've been. I need to figure out some way to display the key chains someday. We also pick up a Christmas ornament every now and then.

I have a keychain collection up at:

http://blane101.tripod.com/keychain.html

I am planning to put it up for auction at EBay, but will sell it outright if I get a decent offer. E-Mail me if you are interested. Use keychain in the subject line.

**... try to get a postcard of each place we visit - including the cruise ship postcard and incorporate that into the scrapbook too. I usually mail the postcard to our house with a little note of what we did that day as a reminder - and a nice surprise when the postcard arrives 6 weeks later. ***

I, too, get a postcard of each place we visit to put in the scrapbook. What a great idea to mail them back to myself! Going to do that on the next trip. :D

Really try just to collect memories these days; the T-shirts and hats are getting to be too much. Perhaps a small picture or drawing of representative of the port. DH still likes to get a ballcap from a port and ship. (Got him to stop getting one from every port. We've got so many!) It is fun, however to wear a hat from a retired ship aboard a ship of the same line. Great conversation starter with crew members and other passengers!

• 2 weeks later...

I started collecting dolls from each place or port we go to for my granddaughter. The clothes she grows out of, the junk gets broken, so dolls from around the world it is! For myself, it's photos of the places we've been that I take. I frame them and put them on the walls in my home. I can feel like I'm on vacation each time I look at my walls.

I collect the shipboard key cards and the pocket map of the ship i've been on. I also photograph and collect images of cruise ships that I store on my computer. I have somewhere around 45 ships photgraphed. Most images are complete shots of the while some are just partial shots of the ship.

I collect the shipboard key cards and the pocket map of the ship i've been on. I also photograph and collect images of cruise ships that I store on my computer. I have somewhere around 45 ships photgraphed. Most images are complete shots of the while some are just partial shots of the ship.

• 1 year later...

Archived