Kids and Money-????

bayyore

What so you do??:confused:

We are cruising with our 16 yr old and 12 yr old boys. Do you let them have free rein on your credit card:eek:, set up a cash account or something else? I don't really know what the options are. We are sailing on RCI.

Thank you for any input!!

My kids are smaller, but my guess based on my past cruising experiences would be as follows:

-food is "free" so they don't need food money

-too young to gamble

-too young to drink alcohol

-buy them a soda card so they can get their own sodas

-shore excursions would be with parents so you would charge the tickets to your cards / accounts, and be with them to buy anything onshore.

-Research what else on board "costs" that they might want to do - do any of the sporting activities on your ship cost extra? If so - discuss in advance what they are allowed to spend. I can't imagine that they'd be buying vast amounts of souveniers or Art - perhaps a parent can go with them to make purchases.

Maybe they can bring their own cash along (saved allowance, etc) to put cash on their card and not spend past that

Or - have no charges on their cards and parent can pay / prereserve any charges for activities on the parent's card.

At 16 and 12 (especially the 12 year old) I assume you would be with them much of the time anyways, or have set meeting times etc, or they would be in the supervised teens program, so I can't imagine that they would need to pay for something and be that "far" from parents.

Thank you for your input! I am mainly concerned about the gaming room. That would add up quite a bit and Johnny Rockets has a 3.95 charge and also I'm sure there are stores for candy and souvenirs. I wasn't sure if I could have them put a cash limit on their sail cards.

My boys will hang out with each other a lot of the time--they get along great. My brother and cousin are both coming too so we'll all be keeping an eye on them!:)

I have heard horror stories about parents letting the kids charge on the credit cards...over $500.00 in charges!!! Buying all there new friends ANYTHING they want from the stores and playing video games!!! Put cash on there individual cards, you'll be glad you did.

I have heard horror stories about parents letting the kids charge on the credit cards...over $500.00 in charges!!! Buying all there new friends ANYTHING they want from the stores and playing video games!!! Put cash on there individual cards, you'll be glad you did.

That's a terrifying thought!! Can you tell me when/how I put cash on their cards? Is this done on the ship?

DH and I agreed that since almost everything was covered for the kids that $50 would be enough on their sign & sail card. I sent the money in ahead of time as an onboard credit. When we boarded we checked that the money was there and put a charging limit on the cards($50). Well, they were able to charge over the $50 even though I went to guest services twice to check that the limit was in place. My kids didn't take advantage of the privledge but they did use their cards to charge the "late nights" in the kids club. at $5/hour it adds up quick. Just make sure you keep an eye on their accounts.

~Connie

Thank you for this information. I would want them to be able to have access to buy something small without waiting for me or their dad buy it. They're good kids and they won't purposely abuse the amount but I can see them losing track or getting carried away by the moment.

Maybe I can pick your brains a little more. My 12 year old said a friend of his had a video game card in addition to a soda card. Now my kids don't want a soda card but for sure they will want a video card. Is this a seperate card or is it just their sail card?

Thank you for this information. I would want them to be able to have access to buy something small without waiting for me or their dad buy it. They're good kids and they won't purposely abuse the amount but I can see them losing track or getting carried away by the moment.

Maybe I can pick your brains a little more. My 12 year old said a friend of his had a video game card in addition to a soda card. Now my kids don't want a soda card but for sure they will want a video card. Is this a seperate card or is it just their sail card?

No video card that I know of. Kids just swipe their room key cards. You can monitor yours and their account on the TV or just stop by guest services for an update.

Enjoy your cruise!

~Connie

My daughter has been cruising since she has been 11. I have always allowed her to charge but she was responsible for anything that she charged (she was given so much money at the begining of the cruise). I always felt that this was a good way to teach her about using credit. I did check her spending every night. At the end of every cruise she paid what she owed.

If I were you, I would check out what would your children spend the money on, come up with an amount that they can reasonable pay back (or gift them with an amount) and set up something with the cruiseline at check in. We have an 8-yr-old so we didn't allow any charging privileges on her card. When she wanted to get something in a boutique, it was only $2 so I put it on my card. The only other things she wanted were drinks (sodas and hot chocolate) so she had to come to us (and she didn't always get them). Fortunately, the Princess program doesn't involve any costs, including time on the PSII.

We allow our oldest (15 in June) to use his card, but do check the account every day. It amounted to some sodas, arcade charges, and an occasional candy bar from the gift shop or specialty coffee. This year we'll probably get him a soda card (it will probably be worth it this time), but he's been responsible with what he charges - especially since he knows we're checking.

Archived