Horizon Havana Aft Balcony - October 29-November 6 2022 - Mini Review

tw67

First of all, we had the best time.  If at anytime I sound like I am complaining in this, please know that I am not.  Yes, things don't go 100% as planned, and not everyone can be pleased 100% of the time, but we loved this cruise!  We were celebrating our 32nd anniversary.  Really wanted to do this 2 years ago, but we all know how that worked out....

It was the 8 day - Aruba, Curacao, La Romana, and Amber Cove.  We had an Aft Balcony, 8th deck  8467.  Loved our location.  Had some shade from 9th deck on our balcony, but also had some sun.  

We live in NJ, but love flying Southwest.  I am a big over packer, so I guess what I love is the 2 free bags.  SW pulled out of Newark, and we can never seem to get a direct from Philly any longer, so we drive an extra hour and do Baltimore.  Parking in Baltimore is also cheaper!  As a side note, as I got off the bus from long term parking to the terminal, I stepped down on the sidewalk and felt a crunch in my ankle.  I could barely walk on it, but I sucked it up and made the best of it.  As the week went on my foot did start to get better, but is still not 100%.  

We flew the night before to Ft. Lauderdale and stayed at Resident's Inn Ft Lauderdale.  Room was great, I have Marriott points and we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite.  We had already arranged for SAS to pick us up in the morning.  We had a 9:30 am pick up.  The van coming to get us had a blow out.  Lucky that we weren't on that van!  So we were picked up late, the drivers did what they could to make sure everyone got picked up, and it all worked out.  I have already made my SAS reservation for our January cruise.  Very impressed with the professionalism.  We didn't arrive for our 10:30 check in, it was more like 11:15 so we went into the late/early line at the port.  We never stopped moving until we got on the ship.  That was awesome!  

This was part 1, part 2 will be coming next chance I have!  

33 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

Can't wait to read more!

So sorry for the mishap with your ankle! 

Thanks!  I keep saying that it will be a later in November Terry problem!  We fly back tonight so I will hopefully call my doctor tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, tw67 said:

It was my second time on Horizon and in Havana Area.  Loved it!

Our first time in Havana area was on The Vista in September 2019. We loved it too.

7 minutes ago, tw67 said:

It was my second time on Horizon and in Havana Area.  Loved it!

• Like 1

Sorry we are flying home today after extending our time in Florida to see my in-laws.  I am typing while I can!  

First thing we did as we boarded was to go to our muster station.  As we walked on we saw Tony Barnette from La Lido Loca and we are big fans.  We stopped and introduced ourselves.  They had a group on this cruise and we weren’t a part of it so I didn’t want to monopolize his time, or become a stalker! So then we went to D3 and sat through muster.  This was in Meridian Dining Room.  They actually sat us down and did it in small groups.  The most like a muster drill we have had since the re start.  

We then headed to the 11 th deck Aft to have the Mongolian Wok in GiGi’s (I think that is the name). That is free for lunch.  

Need to get to my gate, so part 3 will be later!

I will take this post to discuss our cabin and Havana Area.  First of all, I have never had an aft balcony before.  Last time I was on Horizon I had one that was right near the afts.  This was super long, and a wonderful place to relax.  Being on the 8th deck we were high enough up to look down on both Havana Area and the water.  I caught some beautiful sunsets and sail aways from ports.  

We found it really odd that we had a really large balcony, but with only a lounger and I don't know what to call it, but the lounger with arms that is really low to the ground, that also has a footstool that goes in front of it.  There was also a really small table.  There was a lot of unused space on this balcony.    Since I had hurt my foot, I knew that there was no way I was going to be able to be comfortable getting up and down from them.  Looking onto the 8th deck, we could see that they had really nice chairs on them.  So I asked my cabin steward.  He was pretty good the whole cruise, but my life saver this day!  He brought me a chair.  

The bad part to the balcony and actually the Havana area... black soot.  There were days when the ship would be leaving a port we would find our balcony, and sitting area in Havana covered in soot.  It was so bad that they drained the pool and hot tubs to clean them.  No one seemed to have a reason why, but rumors were "cheap fuel".  This was a minor inconvenience, and you made sure not to leave anything out on your balcony.

We spent many days just hanging in the Havana Area.  I don't think that I could ever do this class ship and not have this area.  We have even been joking around that we would do an inside with our two grown kids, just to have this area.  A number of days we paid for food to be delivered to us for lunch, we couldn't imagine leaving the area.  We had pizza, wings and chicken strips delivered. The pizza was enjoyable, the wings I didn't care for, and everyone liked the chicken strips. 

The Havana Bar.  Every bartender here was great.  They would memorize our folio numbers, and so when we were in the pool and didn't have our cards on us they would still make our drinks.  Luis was by far the best!  We would be a rowdy group at times, and everyone working there would just keep up the jovial spirit.  Yoga was terrific!  He would see your towel was damp, and take it from you and give you a dry one.  The whole staff that worked back there was great, their pours were heavy, and drinks terrific.  

Well, lunch is over, back to work today!  I promise to write more later!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Steph0224 said:

Hi Terry, We were the couple that sat in the back of the tour bus with you in Curacao. We had a great time hanging out at the beach with you! I hope your ankle is feeling better!

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie!  As the week went on it felt a little better, but I will be getting an appointment for next week.  It is still really swollen.  If I had to do it all over again, I still wouldn’t have done anything about it, I didn’t want it to ruin a vacation I waited for!  

We also had a great time on that excursion!  That water was really nice, and I really liked our tour guide!  I am glad we all picked to be back of the bus people!  Hanging out with you two was a lot of fun!

Terry

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 1:09 PM, tw67 said:

The bad part to the balcony and actually the Havana area... black soot.  There were days when the ship would be leaving a port we would find our balcony, and sitting area in Havana covered in soot.  It was so bad that they drained the pool and hot tubs to clean them.  No one seemed to have a reason why, but rumors were "cheap fuel".  This was a minor inconvenience, and you made sure not to leave anything out on your balcony.

We had a lot of soot on our Havana patio ("cabana") on the Horizon a month ago.  It wasn't a deal-breaker for me, but my friend John is leery about booking one of those again.  

We spent many days just hanging in the Havana Area.  I don't think that I could ever do this class ship and not have this area.  We have even been joking around that we would do an inside with our two grown kids, just to have this area. 

We're currently booked in a right-off-Lido balcony on Horizon in the fall, and I'd love to shift to a Havana room if one becomes available.  Not surprisingly, they are all sold out.  My friends would prefer a patio; I'd be happy at this point with a Havana interior.  

The Havana Bar.  Every bartender here was great.  They would memorize our folio numbers, and so when we were in the pool and didn't have our cards on us they would still make our drinks.  Luis was by far the best!  We would be a rowdy group at times, and everyone working there would just keep up the jovial spirit.  Yoga was terrific!  He would see your towel was damp, and take it from you and give you a dry one.  The whole staff that worked back there was great, their pours were heavy, and drinks terrific.  

Absolutely!  The entire crew back there was awesome, and I remember Luis and Yoga were standouts.  When a lady there lost an earring in the pool, one of the deck crew even went to grab goggles and donned a pair of shorts to help me look for them.  Fantastic staff.  ❤️  

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on this same cruise leaving Miami Jan.21, 2023.  Any tips on visiting the islands?  We have a snorkle excursion booked in Bonaire and one through the ship booked for Amber Cove.  Haven't booked anything for Aruba but are chatting with ABC Tours.  Nothing booked for LaRomana yet.  I haven't seen many positive reviews for any tours with the ship or otherwise.  Any tips would be great!

Thanks!

Leah

2 hours ago, leahthecaterer said:

We are booked on this same cruise leaving Miami Jan.21, 2023.  Any tips on visiting the islands?  We have a snorkle excursion booked in Bonaire and one through the ship booked for Amber Cove.  Haven't booked anything for Aruba but are chatting with ABC Tours.  Nothing booked for LaRomana yet.  I haven't seen many positive reviews for any tours with the ship or otherwise.  Any tips would be great!

Thanks!

Leah

We are on the same cruise! We rented a golf cart in Bonaire, going to Eagle Beach in Aruba on our own. Staying on board in LaRomana and hanging at the pool in Amber Cove.

We had an interior Havana Cabin in April and it was great. We were on the same deck as the coffee shop, very easy to go and get a cup. We loved the Havana pool and meet some great people. In Aruba we did the Jolly Pirates snorkel tour. It was an absolute blast!!!! I highly recommend it. Take a cab to MooMba beach. We were supposed to do an SeaCow snorkeling, but it was cancelled. We ended up signing up for an island tour. It was a good tour. We walked onto the street at the port, tents are set up by vendors and you can just sign up. 

Have fun on the Horizon, it's our favorite Carnival ship.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, threewide said:

On the "Horizon" literally and preverbially, May 2024 Southern, A, B, C's 

In 9471,  we cant wait!  

Thanks for the great review!

Thanks.  I feel like I left this review unfinished!  Between coming home, leaving for a girl’s weekend, then Thanksgiving,  Christmas and then a short January cruise all while not fully healed on my ankle, I ran out of time!  Enjoy Havana Area!  

• Like 1