What to expect on my 1st MSC cruise out of Europe- ( Bari)

glentally

Announcements will be made in many languages including English. Menus are also available in English. English is spoke at guest service, too. Thus, there should be no language barrier regarding everything official. Even pool games and the like are moderated in various languages.

Of course, not all passengers speak English, thus there migth be a problem in this case.

For that reason there is also no comedy. Shows are music, dancing, acrobats.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, glentally said:

Language Barriers? I only speak English. - All crew speak reliable English! All the documentation, menus, and the likes will be in English as well. Announcements in many languages including English. Entertainment more visual than language dependent. Do note though that if you want an American style coffee, just ask your server for an "Americano", otherwise you'll receive a little shot of espresso on a small cup!

Comedy? Which language? - No comedians by the norm.

Music is Universal so I am safe there. - They'll have a large variety ranging from classical to current pop/rock music. On the most recent times duos playing some well-known songs have become the norm on most ships.

Announcements indeed in multiple languages, so they often take a while. But don't expect many, just the necessities. Be aware that with many nationalities on board, not just the languages heard might be different. Also customaries. Italian kids for example don't go to bed until 21:00 or 22:00. Kids disco's start way after my kid's bed time. People from southern Europe also tend to eat late, they often prefere second seating. First seating higher percentage from northern Europe. Food portions are much smaller than in the US, but don't be afraid to ask for a second serving. Also, don't expect to many 'hi how are you?' or other insincere questions, but just a friendly 'hello, what can I do for you?' or even just 'hello'.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Announcements are made in 5 languages and sometimes 6.

Everybody in western Europe speaks English. (I realize that's an exaggeration but it's basically true and particularly true for crew on the ship and people you're likely to encounter as a tourist.)

Yeah! I'd say that here in western Europe pretty much all the below 35 years old generations will speak some reliable English. All the other ones you may encounter as a tourist will speak it as well on both crew, hotel, airports, main larger shops etc. Taxi drivers might to be an exception on places, but yes, language barriers are not the largest problem anymore.