Tuk tuk in Lisbon

I first got to know tuk tuks in Thailand and Vietnam. On a recent Sky Princess trans-Atlantic I found out that those electric three-wheel vehicles are also taking over Lisbon. In fact, they may be the best way to tour the hilly city's narrow and steep alleys that are no-go to buses and cars.

In Southeast Asia tuk tuks usually accomodate two people. Lisbon  tuk tuks, by contrast, can accommodate up to six persons.

When my partner and I rented a tuk tuk outside the cruise port at Jardim do Tobacco., we got the whole vehicle for two hours for $130. I thought that was a splendid deal because we could have had it for six people.

I was told that tuk tuks were first introduced in Lisbon in 2012 and have since spread like crabgrass. Regular taxis were cheap, but they were extremely hard to find during rush hour. So some tuk tuks do tourist routes, others may be rented for short trips. There are thousands of them. 

Tuk tuks do not replace regular tours, but they are an appealing alternative to those who want to see the various sections of Lisbon from a vantage point that those regular tours do not offer.

• Like 1

If anyone looking for one at the time and there are none at the cruise terminal, , we were staying close to Praça da Figueira, so  passed there often, and every time we did there were lots off them parked up there waiting for customers. Saw them elsewhere too, but always in numbers at Praça da Figueira not too much of a walk from the waterfront.

Edited by edinburgher