Which excursion for old Mexico?

Laurie JJ

We are going on a 7 night cruise next spring stopping in Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. There are two excursions that look similar and both interest my husband and I. In Puerto Vallarta there is a day trip to San Sebastián. The other is from Mazatlan and goes to Concordia and Coppola. Has anyone been to either of these towns?  Would one trip be better than the other. I would love to hear some input. Thanks!

We have done both. The one to Concordia etc. was already a long time ago in 2008. It was a long but an interesting day. The drive to Concordia was not that special, we had a stop there, visited the church etc. but after that it was so much nicer. We had some free time in Coppola. A nice small town, we walked around and had a nice lunch there. Again it was a long day as far as I remember.

The one to San Sebastian is also very interesting. As we stay in Puerto Vallarta each winter, we do it by car. You might have a stop in a small Tequilla distillery before getting to San Sebastian. The drive itself is also nice, it takes less then 2 hours. San Sebastian was an old mining town, it has a very nice mexican plaza with of course a nice church. (see attached photo) Maybe you can visit the small museum and the small prison. San Sebastian is also famous for its coffee. We love to go there. Be aware since it is in a higher altitude it can be cooler than Vallarta. 

Difficult to tell which one is nicer, we like them both. 

san sebas 6.jpg

Edited by Ine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hubby and I enjoyed a tour to San Sebastian del Oeste and the traditional tequila farm & distillery with a pleasant wander around the town, although it was very quiet and nothing exceptional - we took some interesting photos of buildings and the miners' statue.  We had a pleasant little lunch at the cantina in town, decent traditional Mexican food.  We weren't on a cruise on that trip, but got several 'free' tours etc. plus a great buffet breakfast (Mex & American) for going to a timeshare presentation in PV (which is an easy way for us to get a bunch of tours as we are not even tempted by timeshares and always warn the presenters ahead of time, lol.)   I would go to San Sebastian again, as it was a pleasant diversion from the beach and the tequila was quite good.  Not sure what sort of price the cruise may be charging for the shore excursion so you will have to weigh out what it's worth to you.

Edited by canadjineh
added a thought
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...