Sea Sickness ?

MAN86

I have read about taking Bonine and/or Ginger tablet for sea sickness. Does anyone have an opinon on this? Where can I find it? Do I need a prescription? Anything that works better? :confused: THANKS :D

Bonine:...................do a search for bonine, you will read everything you ever wanted to know about it and more. You can buy it just about everywhere, no Rx. needed, My wife takes it and it works for her. I use the ginger tablets (any health food, drug, or supermarket pharmacy) if I can't get my "sea legs" usually the first night out. Ginger is known to settle the stomach, works for me.

Just returned from my first cruise 2 weeks ago and was worried about getting seasick. I started taking one bonine the day before we left and then took one a day thereafter. No side effects of any kind and not a hint of sickness.

Hi, Man86 - there are a lot of threads about different sea sickness remedies; you may want to do a search on these boards.

First, only you know yourself: do you tend towards motion sickness in a car, airplane or boat? Are you generally sensitive to medications? Are you already on some medications that affect your tummy or your balance? If you've never had an issue with motion sickness before, there's no reason to think you will on a cruise, although it's a good idea to go armed with some remedies that might work for you. If you get queasy easily, you should have something that you know will work. Regardless of what you take with you, think about trying it out in advance. Everything has side effects, and you don't want to find out about them during your vacation!

Many people swear by ginger. You can sip ginger ale, you can eat candied ginger, or take ginger capsules (available in a health food store). "Bonine" is the trademarked name for an over-the-counter medication called meclizine, which is also sold as a generic. No prescription necessary, and it doesn't make most people drowsy. You only need one pill a day, but you have to take it in advance - once you feel nauseaus it's too late. I take meclizine starting the evening before I board the ship and never have a problem. Old fashioned Dramamine is another over-the-counter pill that is a little stronger but make most people drowsy. The strongest is the "patch" which is a time-released form of scopalomine, available by prescription only. Many people complain that the patch makes them dizzy, even to the point of hallucinations for those who are sensitive to medications such as a frail, elderly person. The patch also makes it hard for people to read or focus their eyes. Lastly are injections that the shipboard doctors can give you - I have no idea what's in them but those who have had them report that they're sleepy for a few hours but then they're fine for days. For anything stronger than ginger you should probably discuss with your doctor any possible side effects with medications you're currently taking and follow his/her advice!

I have read about taking Bonine and/or Ginger tablet for sea sickness. Does anyone have an opinon on this? Where can I find it? Do I need a prescription? Anything that works better? :confused: THANKS :D

I wear a ReliefBand that I purchased from Sharper Image (but they are available elsewhere, approximate cost $100.00). The ReliefBand sends an electronic pulse into your wrist. You can feel it, but it does not hurt. You can make the sensation stronger or weaker. I have Meniere's DZ and I am prone to dizziness that causes nausea. This device has been a lifesaver. (While I still experience the dizziness it is much more tolerable without the nausea.) Good luck to you in finding something that works for you!

I have suffered from motion sickness for as long as I can remember. Even had to stay out of the back seat during carpools to and from school.

I travel over 50 days/year and I rely on medication anytime I get on a plane, a train, a bus, and especially a boat. For as long as I can remember, I have traveled with a bottle of (25mg/pill) meclizine. You can purchase a 50 dose container from most pharmacies (no prescription required) for about $3. I'd pay $300 if I had to. Works like a charm, no contraindications, and I can consume wine liberally!

Don't take Bonine on top of alcohol. You are better off taking it in the morning so it won't conflict with anything you want to drink. I made the mistake of taking Bonine on top of martini. Not a good thing.

On our cruises we got a little bit queasy. I don't remember what we took then - probably Bonine or Dramamine.

Since then we've used ginger. We usually take it in advance of starting the cruise and for the first day or so. Also if we're entering rough seas. We haven't had any issues over the past several cruises. I can't say if that is due to the ginger, or we've just adapted to cruising - but we'll keep our current ginger practice s it seems pretty harmless. On our second or third cruise we ran into a little queasiness mid cruise, after stopping the ginger, and taking the ginger helped eliminate it. We've also offered it to a table-mate who was feeling queasy, and it helped her. We buy ginger in the vitamin department at our local drug store.

A friend of ours suffered from sea sickness but wanted to cruise with us. He got the patch from his doctor. He got very sick on board and the ships doctor told him it was a reaction to the patch. He gave him a shot which knocked him out for a few hours then put him on bonine or dramamine and he was fine the rest of the cruise. Sorry that I can't remember exactly what he took, but my point is that the patch has some potential negatives.

A friend of ours suffered from sea sickness but wanted to cruise with us. He got the patch from his doctor. He got very sick on board and the ships doctor told him it was a reaction to the patch.

The exact same thing happened on my first cruise. The doctor said he'd like to go around the ship tearing those matches off. It took days and a lot of neck scrubbing for the effects to wear off. I felt like a zombie, sort of stoned but not in a good way.:rolleyes:

If someone wants to try one I would advise them to try it at home before the cruise.

Yes - I have not heard good things about the patch. However, the other 3 remedies are very doable. I will bring some of each and start taking a few days early.

We have only crusied once before, and actually felt "strange:eek: " when we got off the ship - like we were still on water!

Yes - I have not heard good things about the patch. However, the other 3 remedies are very doable. I will bring some of each and start taking a few days early.

We have only crusied once before, and actually felt "strange:eek: " when we got off the ship - like we were still on water!

Difficulty getting your "land legs" back isn't unusual. If you haven't had a problem with sea sickness on your last cruise, I'd stick with the medicine with the least side effects - and I beleive that would be ginger. Only wanrning I've ever read about that is for people that have excessive bleeding problems, I think it is pretty safe and not much side effects. At least that's my impression.

Hey MAN86,

We use ginger. I had an inner problem and try to avoid meds. Had to wear patches and take oral meds. Not real good for the old blood ressure.

To learn more about using try "Google" use search words...seasickness and ginger. Many opines and studies.

It works and it is natural. You can drink:D with no side effect and don't get sleepy. Once in a while you might get heartburn. Take with food.

Hope this helps.

Archived