Internet on Glory

Ranger28

For those of you who have purchased the premium internet on Glory, we found it severely lacking during our week long cruise. The Wi-Fi was intermittent and slow. Our cabin, 1056, had no service unless we had our cabin door propped open and balanced on the open bathroom door. I talked to guest services but they acted like it was not a widespread problem and insinuated it was operator error. My husband and I both purchased the premium package. In some areas (dining room, lido deck, dining room) service was better, but it was not great.

I doubt it was operator error.

In September I got the premium internet on the Glory for the first time since I had some stock market shorts in play and needed to monitor them. The speed was slow but steady. I had heard that the service on Carnival was slow, but this took me back to the days of dial-up modems. In short, the service was usable, but barely. 

Then in late October I was kind of forced into getting the premium internet on the Glory again since my wife liked the idea of our sons being able to contact us. (You can't put toothpaste back in the tube.) This time the service was unusable for anything except email and simple web pages. The first day I could not load a single web page. In the late evening I went to guest services and was told that it would get better soon. They said we were in a "satellite blackout zone" until we got out of the river. Late that night/early morning of the next day I still couldn't load a page and went back to guest services. Again, by a different person, I was told it would get better soon as we were in a satellite blackout zone. So I asked for a refund for the day since they charged me for a day they knew they would not be able to provide service. They said they could not refund a day, but I could cancel the whole plan for the cruise. I wanted to do that, but thoughts of my wife's reaction stopped me.

The rest of that cruise was about 75% slow and steady and 25% effectively no service. But the 75% also had a new wrinkle. One site I wanted to use was a subscription site and I could only connect from one IP address at a time. Apparently the Carnival internet changes IP address every five to ten minutes and I would get kicked off for having attempted connections from two IP addresses.

So there are all kinds of screw-ups with internet on at least the Glory.

Yeah it was downright terrible when I tried to use it. Compared to NCL last year it's a total joke, and when I went was right when they announced the price increase. I'm like they're actually increasing the price when they can't even make it work as is?

I miss being able to unplug on cruises, but being an IT department of one I'm pretty much obligated to get it.