Cash instead of credit card?

I only give cash and it has never, ever been a problem. No "Mystery charges" no hassles and cash back at the end of the cruise (we watch it like hawks). It takes only a moment to set up a cash account and we get the extra back the last night.

• 2 weeks later...
I was thinking of American Express or Visa travel check cards. It's OK for you to say use the CC when you have a high limit. It won't do us any good to settle the dispute AFTER our Disney vacation is ruined:eek: . With our bank card the money would be taken right out. Now if they over charged me $1700.00, I would not have a whole lot of cash for the next two weeks or the over 2,000 mile drive home.:mad:

Haven't used a regular CC in over 5 years.:D

I would suggest that this is the exact reason you SHOULD have a credit card. Lets say you are on your 2000 mile drive home and you have car problems. Or you have to fly the whole family home for an emergency? Wouldn't it be nice to have some emergency buying power (w/o waiting for transfers from other accounts to become liquid)? That mechanic in Alabama or airline ticket counter lady isn't going to take an IOU until you can get money transfered from savings, but she will take VISA.

I personally don't keep much money in my checking account, I pay bills with it and that's about it. It's nice to be able to flop the Visa/Amex down when something comes up and not have to deal with moving money around until I get home.

You're better off being overcharged on a credit card than on your cash/traveler's check account. Sure, there are horror stories on these boards of things like 1700 internet charges, but these are rarities. The cruise line is not in the business of scamming you. If, however, something does go wrong and you are overcharged, you have a better chance of getting it resolved if you used a credit card. DO NOT use a debit card. There is absolutely no advantage to a debit card unless you aren't able to manage your money. When you are overcharged on a debit card, your cash is gone, and overdraft fees may apply. With a credit card, however, you don't loose any cash when you are overcharged, and you have the credit card company on your side when you dispute a charge PROPERLY. Unless you have absolutely no self control, the decision to not use a credit card is a bad one. If something does go wrong and you are overcharged, you will still have all of your cash, and you will still have buying power (via cash and credit) after the cruise.

Archived