Thinking of going to Alaska? Can you help

cyndeeee

We're thinking of going to Alaska next year, and what is the best month for seeing the wild life? and also doing the train. Should we go with Celebrity or RCCL or would you say they are about the same? Thank you for any insight. Your favorite excursions too.....

First of all go to the Ports of Call board and put your question there too. There is a wealth of information and some pretty good CC's there that have been to Alaska many, many times. Hope this helps.

marilyn

We went in early Sept. of '03 on RCCL Radiance of the Seas. It was a really enjoyable cruise, but if I was going to go again, I would do the one way from Vancouver to Anchorage instead of just the inside passage (Vanc-return). Radiance was a lovely ship and I wouldn't hesitate to go with either RCCL or Celebrity.

We had some rain, but mostly nice weather & comfortable temps in port. If you are going to be out on deck while cruising, hat, gloves, warm jacket, etc. are a must.

There is less snow on the mountaintops in Sept. than in the spring, and not sure about wildlife... we didn't see much, other than some eagles, one bear from the train in Skagway, and a few whale spottings while on board.

If you want to go when there are fewer children on board, spring and fall are good choices.

Favourite excursions - the White Pass Railway in Skagway (and bicycling back down), and the Float Plane in Ketchikan over the Mysty Fjords. We also went kayaking in Ketchikan, but I was a little bored with it. Glacier Bay was spectacular - we were up on the helicopter pad for two hours while we approached it and at least another two hours while we stayed in the bay to see the glacier. (We had a balcony and really enjoyed it, but I loved the 360 degree views from the bow of the ship.)

There's probably lots of great info on the Alaska Board about excursions.

hello,

I highly recommend that you take a cruise to Alaska. Another respondent recommended going all the way to Anchorage which is an excellent recommendation but keep in mind that this means expensive flight arrangements in addition to the cruise. Also, you can rent cars in Juneau and Skagway, which will give the flexibility to see more and do more than if you went on tours, and driving in Alaska and Canada is both easy and fun. Helicopter rides and so on are great but you can have a wonderful time in Alaska and not spend a lot of money.

Fred

We have sailed twice with Celebrity, roundtrip from Vancouver B.C. on Infinity, roundtrip from Seattle on Mercury. Both cruises were in late August. Saw lots more wildlife the second time (August 2005) -- Mercury had a great naturalist who used her lectures to alert passengers to upcoming whale watching opportunities, including a spectacular morning when she went to the bridge and narrated from the PA system, easily audible from spots including the forward observation lounge, as we passed through an intensely busy humpback-feeding area. That morning was the highlight of the whole cruise for me. We also saw orcas, Dall's porpoises, seabirds, etc.

We haven't been on any organized shore excursions thus far -- too pricey for us -- but I do advise seeing White Pass and the Yukon, whether you choose the train or a rent-a-car (which is how we did it), if you go to Skagway ... amazing otherworldly scenery, not quite like any mountainous area we've ever seen. Have a great trip, whatever you choose -- TR

Archived