Travel agent or book online?

ThankyouJames

Are there distinct advantages to using a travel agent to book your cruise? I used one to book two cat. B3 cabins on the QM2 for May 17, 2006. I was looking around for info on cruising and discovered an online deal for the same cruise date, same catagory cabin for $3000. less than I paid through the travel agent. :confused:

Are there distinct advantages to using a travel agent to book your cruise? I used one to book two cat. B3 cabins on the QM2 for May 17, 2006. I was looking around for info on cruising and discovered an online deal for the same cruise date, same catagory cabin for $3000. less than I paid through the travel agent. :confused:

shop around and get the best deal say from cunard or on l;ine you can then assign your reservation to any travel agent i have done this and it works!!!! bon voyage jim

Rates have been all over the place with the QM2.

The current rate you are seeing $1199 plus tax is a "Flash Promo" program, generally restricted to new bookings only. Everyone has this rate.

Agencies cannot advertise rates lower than what Cunard has in their reservation system. (AKA discounted rates in the form of rebating commission).

Why don't you call your travel agent and ask them if your booking can be re-fared? Since you are in penalty period, chances are not good

If you cannot be re-fared, ask if you can get obc... or a fabulous upgrade in lieu of.

Good luck.,

Though it really $uck$ to see a lower rate than you already paid, you have to understand what is happening. The cruiseline has some rooms empty and they are trying to seel them, at whatever cost they can get..

for those that want the lower rate, sorry... if they lowered everybody to the lower rate, it would defeat the whole business model.

For those that say they should just wait and get the lowest rate, you do have that option, and of course the option might be a higher rate or sold out cabins.

Simple business.

Rates have been all over the place with the QM2.

The current rate you are seeing $1199 plus tax is a "Flash Promo" program, generally restricted to new bookings only. Everyone has this rate.

Agencies cannot advertise rates lower than what Cunard has in their reservation system. (AKA discounted rates in the form of rebating commission).

Why don't you call your travel agent and ask them if your booking can be re-fared? Since you are in penalty period, chances are not good

If you cannot be re-fared, ask if you can get obc... or a fabulous upgrade in lieu of.

Good luck.,

I have seen offers from cunard to world club member as low as $999 for trans atlantic on select dates and at times with guaranteed upgrades. also there are travel companies that buy up blocks of room and offer at special prices as well!!!Try contacting some of the larger travel agencys before you book.. good luck

I have seen offers from cunard to world club member as low as $999 for trans atlantic on select dates and at times with guaranteed upgrades. also there are travel companies that buy up blocks of room and offer at special prices as well!!!Try contacting some of the larger travel agencys before you book.. good luck

$999 on select dates is available to non past passengers as well. Some dates are even lower through groups.

Thanks to all who replied! I wish I had known about this site before I started planning our trip.

My mother and I are sailing to Europe on Celebrity Constellation, then spending a week in Ireland, then joining my sister and her husband for a few more days in London and France. We end the trip on the May 17th sailing of QM2.

All my travel agent has done for me is make a few calls. I even found a much better package for the Ireland trip myself and showed her. This is my main reason for asking if a travel agent is really necessay.

We still have plans to make i.e. places to stay in London and France how to get back and forth etc.

I'm off the to the travel agency now to see what she can do for us concerning QM2. I've written down the tips you've provided, if it saves me some money I'll bring everyone back a souvenir!:)

Archived