Questions about Getaway

phoenix1975

Hi

I'm a solo traveller and previously cruised on Epic (pre-Covid) in one of the studio cabins, but also with other lines such as P&O (a lot), Celebrity and Princess.

I'm trying to decide where to go this summer and what I can afford taking into account single supplement, etc.

I'm currently looking at Getaway for 10 nights in the Mediterranean in August and can't decide which type of cabin to go for (I can't afford a balcony) but have a few questions that I hope someone can answer:

1. Is the Studio Lounge area as good as the one on Epic - I can see that it's smaller - e.g. is the atmosphere with other solo cruisers as good?

2. Would it be worth me paying extra to get an Outside/Oceanview cabin?

3. Are there any deck areas which are in the shade - on older ships I would be sitting on a lounger on the promenade deck as I don't like being in full sun?

4. With the Free at Sea add-on, I would only get 1 Speciality restaurant included. Do NCL do Speciality Dining add-ons that you can pay for and are they worth getting?

Thank you 🙂

I’ll let a solo traveler comment on the cabin decision. 

Here is a link to the Specialty Dining package add on costs. We do typically pay extra for this every cruise. Once the cruise is booked, there will likely be an option to add 2 SDP meals at a much lower rate than what is listed on this link: 

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/dining-packages

I think you can find lounge chairs in the pool area that are in the shade. If you don’t want to be near the pool, there are comfortable seating areas on the waterfront that may be in the shade and protected by the sun depending on the time of day, side of the ship and sun location. We prefer shaded areas too and have not had any issues finding shaded areas. 

Having been in the Studio cabins on both ships, I'd say I like them both.  Although the lounge is smaller on Getaway, it has all the same amenities, including a bar.  

On deck 8, the Waterfront (promenade deck), there is plenty of seating in the shade, including comfy padded sofas.  

I usually with get the drink package or dining package.  But I think this is a personal choice.  If you do not drink much, if at all, the drink package isn't worth it.  If you think you will be doing a lot of NCL excursions, they excursion credit may be worth it to you.  If you're going to be online a lot (I personally like to disconnect and can usually find free WIFI in the ports), you get my drift....  I personally love the specialty restaurants, so I think they are worth it.  

I have not been on the Epic but have been on the Getaway multiple times as a solo traveler. As far as the lounge atmosphere, it is always going to depend on the solo cruisers that are on the ship.  I have seen it vary from lots of people showing up daily to the lounge being a ghost town after the first day. On a port intensive cruise with long days in port, my guess is that it will not be very active.

Only you know if it would be worth it to pay extra for an Oceanview room. In the US, the Studio cabin can be more than an Inside Sailaway rate so I will book an inside. I will also bid the minimum for a higher cabin category and have been successful more than half the time. But I am happy with whatever cabin I am in.

I am also a shade person and live on the Waterfront area on the Getaway. Might have to switch sides depending on the sun, but always find a space.

Any cabin less than a balcony only get 1 Specialty Dining on NCL. They do have an option to purchase additional meals but again, whether it is worth it is up to you. I sometimes will pay out of pocket for a few items in a Specialty restaurant (usually just apps and dessert) but there are no restaurants on the Getaway where I would do that. i was on a Baltic cruise a few years ago and with being in port all day and tasting the local cuisine, I barely had interest in an MDR. It was a small meal in the buffet and bed on that trip.

I am also looking at an August (or May) Med cruise so pondering the same issues.  Maybe our paths will cross. Enjoy your cruise!

Here's a pertinent video from one of the cruise content people that may be helpful for you to envision yourself in (or out) of a solo cabin. 

I'm a shade person also. There are shady spots on the Getaway. You may not get a lot of views from these locations, but you can be outside, listening to the crowds if that's what you want. There is a super nice little nook with wicker chairs near the starboard side of deck 16. It's rarely used, is outside (but covered) and you can get a nice view between joggers of the ocean from here. It's also slightly quieter, until a loud group of people wander by. 

• Like 1