P&O or Royal Caribbean

Bennyoz

Hi all,

going on a cruise to New Caledonia/Vanuatu with my partner, we’re both in our 20’s. We can either choose P&O Pacific Encounter or Royal Carribean Quantum of the seas. Either in January or April. Just wondering if anyone has been on both and would recommend one over the other. Thanks heaps!

Hi, and welcome to Cruise Critic.

Can I assume you're Aussies?

We've sailed both lines but neither of those ships.

Both are good mainstream cruiselines, but there are differences .........

Quantum carries about 5,000 pax, Pacific Encounter is half the size (2500 pax) so it depends on how you feel about sailing a large & busy ship. Pacific Encounter is very much my size - but you're not me.

RICS is very American, quite "in your face".

P&O is more reserved - some might say "bland"

P&O main dining includes Aussie / Brit pub dishes as well as international fayre.

IMHO, buffet food and decor on RCI is better than on P&O   

Do check out on-board prices (drinks etc) and extras.

P&O don't add daily service charges for cabin & dining staff, or for drinks service -   RCI normally charge about 13 USD per day, plus 18% on drinks, but many lines don't add those charges for sailings out of Aus. so do check that out - if you don't get an answer here, ask your T/A and on https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/564-australia-new-zealand-cruisers/

Check out the currency used on RCI, it might be USD or AUD. That makes a difference in calculating the value of ship purchases.

And if its USD and your own currency is AUD your card issuer will charge commission for conversion. Think about getting a credit card which doesn't charge for currency exchange, especially if you anticipate more foreign travel in the future.

If ship's currency is USD, near the end of the cruise you'll be asked if you want your on-board account to be charged to your card issuer in AUD "for your convenience"🙄. DECLINE that kind offer - your card  issuer will convert at a significantly better exchange rate than the ship.

Ship's currency exchange on all cruise lines - in your case for Vatu (Vanuatu) and Central Pacific Franc (New Caledonia) - will also give a poor exchange rate. 

You can use AUD in most places ashore (perhaps a little less acceptable in New Caledonia) but again you're at the mercy of the establishments' exchange rates.  My experience is a good few years ago, it's worth asking (TripAdvisor?) about whether its worth buying local currency in advance and how widely credit cards are accepted. Again if an establishment offers to convert to AUD to charge  your card, decline - leave it in local currency so that you can see  that you're being charged the ticket price, and because your card issuer's exchange rate will be far better.

Some of your stops are pretty remote, with little of interest. Snorkelling varies from good to excellent - if lying on a beach isn't your scene, take snorkelling mask & snorkel. And flippers if they're not a problem for travel to port. Water shoes (pretty cheap) are a good idea too, even if the worst is the strip of shingle at the high tide mark. And an underwater camera if you have one or want to splash out on one. 

If this is your first cruise, there's a lot that'll be new to you - it'd be easier on P&O.

All JMHO as always.

First cruises are great, and you'll enjoy either ship

Happy sailings

JB 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'd research both ships here on CC plus any other reviews you might find.  You'll get a good overview of each ... and I find reading the member reviews a super way to gain the true feeling of cruising on each.  The larger ship will have more choices and more goodies to entertain you; but you might have to be clever avoiding long lines and crowds.