Vancouver - a few pre or post cruise ideas

lobsternight

I am sure a few people are booking their 2023 Alaska cruises now and thinking about what to do when in Vancouver.  As a local, I highly suggest spending some time here.  There are so many options and things to do, but though maybe I would throw some alternative ideas thwt people could add too. Yes, there are lots of package options, and they are great, but perhaps a few things that are different.  Here are a few ideas to start:

I am a big fan of air tours,  there are a few companies running float planes next to the cruise terminal.  One, Harbour Air, has a great choice of senic harbour tours, also day trip packages to Victoria, so its downtown to downtown.  They also offer a mail run trip to the Gulf Islands, with an optional stay at Ganges Harbour at no extra charge, Great on a Saturday when the farmers market is on.  Another fun one is the flight and dinner at Doc Morgans on Bowen Island. My son recently took a champagne helicopter tour over the city with Sky Helicopters, I belive they can also accommodate a pickup near the cruise terminal.  

Take the Seabus, from the waterfront to North Vancouver, lovely 15 minute harbour tour.  Once across go explore the shipyards district and lower Lonsdale.  Summer Friday and Saturday market, vendors and food trucks, lots of dining options, from comfort foods to higher end seafood, many sushi places, and a block away from the craft brewery area.  Feeling like some activity? Rent a Lime Electric Bike, they are everywhere. This is the start of the Spirt Trail that runs all along the waterfront on an easy paced paved multiuse network.  Also connects with the Green Necklace that loops around different neighbourhoods.

Take a day trip to Whistler, or even better overnight.  The Sea to Sky highway is spectacular, as is the resort where one can just walk around and relax, or take on many of the recreational activities.  Stop at the Britannia Mines museum and take an underground tour. Easily done by rental car, tour bus, or float plane.  Traffic can be bad returning into the city so always allow extra time.

OK everyone, add some ideas

Thanks so much for this info. Yes We are coming to your area in late August  early September 2023 for an Alaska cruise and plan on spending 3-4 days in Vancouver. Some great ideas.I did have the Sea to Sky on my list for post cruise and the harbor tour sounds great.

A few questions if you don't mind.

I am gluten free and it seems there are many GF eateries in Mt Pleasant. 

particularly Cambie St area.

Can you recommend any of the guest houses in that area? Is this area ok to walk around in?  We are good walkers and do walk a lot on our travels.

Is is doable to walk to the downtown area from here?

Any experience with the HOHO bus? We are coming from Florida and will not have a car.

thanks so much for taking the time to respond & provide your local insight.

@suefrankw nice to hear from you and hope you have a wonderful trip and cruise to Alaska.

Vancouver eateries offer a lot of GF option, even more so at that end of town.i can't recommend any houses in that area.  Decades ago Mt Pleasant and East Vancouver would not be a place I would recommend, however these neighborhoods are evolving into decent family areas and I would not be worried about staying there,  Kitsilano is a nearby trendy area as well with beaches and walking networks, lots of quirky eating establishments there too.  Downtown is doable, but transit is cheap and frequent.

The areas I would avoid are the Downtown Eastside, Chinatown, and East of there.  

I would suggest Commercial Ave for lots of ethnic restaurants, interesting walk.

Definitely consider taking transit to Stanley Park.  The seawall is fantastic, good place to walk, run, bike, Rollerblade.  Rentals on Denman Street North end.  Other good walks is the Olympic Park area and THE Granville Island market.

Another suggestion would be on the North Shore off the Seabus and taking transit to Grouse Mountain or the top of Lynn Valley, where there are lots of good rainforest trails, even the Grouse Grind up the mountain and pay for a tram ride down.  If you do the mountain trails, although safe, please let someone know where you plan to go, when you plan to return, dress for changing conditions, water and food, proper footwear  If you both have cell phones keep one off.  Cell coverage is getting better all the time. Unlikely anything will happen but if it does, stay in place and dial 911.  We have a wonderful Search and Rescue, all volunteer, no cost.

Cant say anything about our HoHo bus but seems popular 

Just to add a couple more, and since I'm North Shore based:

take transit to Cleveland Dam, nice mountain and lake view, walk all downhill on trails to Capilano fish hatchery, lots of salmon thst time of year. Go down on west side of river to the Park Royal shopping center, and carry on to Ambleside Park and beach.  Take transit back from there

Nice day trip:  take transit to Horseshoe Bay, BC Ferry to Snug Cove on Bowen Island, lunch or snack at Doc Morgans Pub, walk around regional park right there, then return.