Missed Connection vs. Trip Interruption - Flights to Cruise

From the research I've done, it seems that flight delay coverage under Missed Connection is much more broad that those listed in the Trip Interruption section of the policy.

For example, in my policy the Missed Connection covered events states any officially documented delay of Your Common Carrier for three (3) or more hours, while the Trip Interruption section includes coverage for severe weather, strike, or mechanical breakdown that causes a delay of twelve (12) or more hours.

I have some questions regarding these conditions.

1. Why the distinction between the two?  My suspicion is that the missed connection maximum benefit is often set lower than the max benefit for trip interruption.

2. Let's say my day-of-cruise flight is delayed 6 hours and I miss the ship. With cruise lines not allowing passengers to board halfway through the cruise, would benefits under the Missed Connection cover the entirety of the cruise (assuming the Missed Connection max benefit is higher than the cost of the cruise) because boarding after initial departure is disallowed?  My policy includes the following reimbursement coverage for Missed Connection events: "Your unused, Pre-paid nonrefundable Payments or Deposits for Your Travel Arrangements insured under this Policy."

3. In the same scenario as question 2, if there is a significant delay in the flight due to weather and I know I'm not going to make it the ship in time, am I obligated to board the outbound flight in order to obtain the Missed Connection reimbursement benefit for the cost of the cruise?

4. When policies state "officially documented delay of Your Common Carrier", what proof do you need to provide to the insurer?  Can this be publicly available info like from a flight time tracking website or does this need to be a written letter from the airline.  If the latter, how difficult is this to obtain?

5. Based on the less stringent covered events in the Missed Connection section of policies, is it good to look for a policy that provides a larger maximum benefit in the Missed Connection category?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

From the research I've done, it seems that flight delay coverage under Missed Connection is much more broad that those listed in the Trip Interruption section of the policy.

For example, in my policy the Missed Connection covered events states any officially documented delay of Your Common Carrier for three (3) or more hours, while the Trip Interruption section includes coverage for severe weather, strike, or mechanical breakdown that causes a delay of twelve (12) or more hours.

I have some questions regarding these conditions.

1. Why the distinction between the two?  My suspicion is that the missed connection maximum benefit is often set lower than the max benefit for trip interruption.

2. Let's say my day-of-cruise flight is delayed 6 hours and I miss the ship. With cruise lines not allowing passengers to board halfway through the cruise, would benefits under the Missed Connection cover the entirety of the cruise (assuming the Missed Connection max benefit is higher than the cost of the cruise) because boarding after initial departure is disallowed?  My policy includes the following reimbursement coverage for Missed Connection events: "Your unused, Pre-paid nonrefundable Payments or Deposits for Your Travel Arrangements insured under this Policy."

3. In the same scenario as question 2, if there is a significant delay in the flight due to weather and I know I'm not going to make it the ship in time, am I obligated to board the outbound flight in order to obtain the Missed Connection reimbursement benefit for the cost of the cruise?

4. When policies state "officially documented delay of Your Common Carrier", what proof do you need to provide to the insurer?  Can this be publicly available info like from a flight time tracking website or does this need to be a written letter from the airline.  If the latter, how difficult is this to obtain?

5. Based on the less stringent covered events in the Missed Connection section of policies, is it good to look for a policy that provides a larger maximum benefit in the Missed Connection category?

Thanks in advance!

Hi NorthStarStateCruiser,

The Missed Connection isn't as big a benefit as it appears if you are using the same airline all the way from home to your destination. And, the reasons to trigger the coverage are different. Sometimes the Trip Delay kicks in, too.

Before I answer your other questions, I'd like to know which policy you have. Will you email me the Certificate of Coverage to steve@tripinsurancestore.com and tell me who you are?

Also, this page might help you:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-trip-delay-and-missed-connection-coverage/

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

On 12/2/2022 at 8:03 AM, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Thanks for the follow up email and call Steve!

Hi NorthStarStateCruiser,

You're welcome.

FYI for others reading this thread, I answered their questions. Since the answers vary depending on the exact plan, I won't be giving every possible answer in this topic.

Steve Dasseos