Galveston Hotels

margord

I've stayed at the Galvez several times and loved it. It's a very old, historic hotel right on the Seawall with tall ceilings, crown molding, and lots of real wood. For someone who prefers brand new, brass 'n glass, this would probably not be a very good hotel for them, though.

TXGal,

I love the old hotels. Would you definately recommend this one. How about location. Is it easy to get to places in Gallveston? Will we need a car?

Marilee

The Galvez, a beautiful old hotel, is located on the seawall probably about 2-3 miles from the cruise pier. It would be a good choice. You could walk to the seawall or to some of the near-by restaurants but, as is typical in Texas, everything is spread out and you usually need a car.

If you want old, historical and very close to the pier (1-2 blocks) you might want to look at the Tremont. It is in the Strand area which is adjacent to the pier. Don't know if they offer the free parking option but we have stayed there a couple of times on special week-ends and love it.

If you are in Galveston with time to tour, there is a trolley through some of the area but you'll need a car to get to most of the attractions. There are lots of old, restored houses in the historical district and several old "mansions" to open for tours if you are interested in architecture. Moody Gardens has an aquarium, a space/discovery exhibit, a rainforest exhibit, and an IMAX that could occupy you for an entire day. Galveston is located on a small island which makes it very easy to get around by car. You'll get wet driving in the Gulf or Back Bay before you can get very lost!;)

......my old walkin' buddy :) I'm looking for the same info for next month. When are you going to be in Galveston? I suspect we'll end up using Brent's points to stay at the new Comfort Inn on Seawall Blvd. He's currently in the Czech Republic, so we won't be looking at it for a few days! Hope all is well.

Alanna

Clearlakecruises,

Thanks o much for the info. By the way, what exactly is a sea wall?

Alanna,

Imagine finding you here. Well, you will just have to let me know what you think about all this when you return since you are going next month. What ship will you be sailing on?

We are booked for March 31, 2007 on the Grand Princess and looking forward to it since we have never been to this area before. We plan on flying into San Antonio and renting and car and driving to Galveston. I am hoping to get Kathie and Paul to come with us. Take care.

Marilee

Archived