What are some of the best drinks to get!

I'm with Paul - love'em. It took us almost all summer to replicate the ones we had on Mariner last year. It was a tough job, but someone had to do it!

Can you share your secret?? What ingredients do you use? I have been trying since our last cruise, which was just four weeks ago. I use Bailey's, Creme de Banana, and colada. I have figured that it's either missing a real banana or the caribbean atmosphere. :)

De

Miami Vice gets my vote. But, they have to made correctly. They have to be made side by side in the glass. Some bartenders take the easy way out and pour them on top of each other instead of pouring them out of two blenders into the glass. If you've never had one you don't have a clue what I'm talking about...just order one on the ship and enjoy the tropical coolness.

If you on one of the ships with a Bolero's, the best drink is the fresh Mojito they make. Strong and refreshing at the same time. Yum yum.

Mojito is my choice! But why just Bolero's? any of the bars should be able to make them.

Light rum, lime juice and wedges, sugar, fresh mint and soda water. I have had them both on the rocks and over crushed ice.

I make them at home all the time.

and make sure they put nutmeg on top also.

I am not a big rum fan, but one of the best drinks I've ever had in my life was a rum drink. Not an anomoly either, as I've had them on two separate occassions, a year apart.

There is a little island called Jost Van Dyke, and it has one very famous bar named Foxy's. One of their signature drinks is called a Dread Fox.

It's margarita mix, cranberry juice, light rum and dark rum, with fresh nutmeg grated on the top. Sounds bizarro, but I tell you, it's absolutely delish!!!!

Tracy

Another pineapple juice and coconut rum fan here for a few reasons...

• Everyone knows how to make it
  • I can make it at home
  • You don't need a blender
  • It's got all the fruity flavors of a Pina Colada without the "icky in the heat" creaminess and...
  • No brain freeze :D

Of course, everyone has different tastes so you may not enjoy these.

I like the frozen (miami Vice,Mango tango, etc) but they tend to be VERY heavy.

I like Hpnotiq (A blue liquor made of Cognac, Vodka and fruit juices).

A hpnotiq Breeze is:

1 part Hpnotiq

1/2 part Malibu or other Cocnut Rum

Splash pineapple juice.

If you like Margaritas instead try:

1 part good tequila (Cabo Wabo, 1800, etc)

1/2 part Triple Sec

1 Part Hpnotiq

1 1/2 part sour mix

1/2 part Blue Curacao

This doesn't really have a name but they should be able to make one on board if you tell them how.

You may hate these....or you may love them. But, hey...you'll never know til you try.

Can you share your secret?? What ingredients do you use? I have been trying since our last cruise, which was just four weeks ago. I use Bailey's, Creme de Banana, and colada. I have figured that it's either missing a real banana or the caribbean atmosphere. :)

De

We didn't use creme de banana.

Our recipe:

1/2 banana

2 of pina colada mix

1 - 2 of banana daquiri mix (depended on the bartender and how much we had to drink)

2 of Baileys

1 shot dark rum (again, depends on your taste)

Blend with ice - keep it thick. Like Archie on the Mariner, we top it off with more Baileys

The bartender on the Mariner told us to use only Island Oasis Colada and banana daquiri mix. You can't get island oasis at retail - we bribe a bartender we know to order it for us.

I had the best one aside of the ones on the Mariner this winter at the Fontainebleu pool bar in Miami - it was perfect!

From my nickname, you'd think this would be a no-brainer. But I have yet to have a decent margarita on a cruise ship. They taste like over-sweet lime kool-aid and not enough tequila!

I have to echo the previous poster who mentioned the Blue Mondays. I have had one on all three of my cruises! Love them!

I always try the "Drink of the Day" and am rarely disappointed.

If you want to try something fun, ask the bartender for a "Slippery Nipple." These are shots of Bailey's and Butterscotch. Be warned, they go down smooth but pack a bit of a punch.

It goes without saying, if you want to get smashed quickly, go for the Long Island Iced Tea.

I am not a big rum fan, but one of the best drinks I've ever had in my life was a rum drink. Not an anomoly either, as I've had them on two separate occassions, a year apart.

There is a little island called Jost Van Dyke, and it has one very famous bar named Foxy's. One of their signature drinks is called a Dread Fox.

It's margarita mix, cranberry juice, light rum and dark rum, with fresh nutmeg grated on the top. Sounds bizarro, but I tell you, it's absolutely delish!!!!

Tracy

Hi Tracy, Also on Jost Van Dyke is the Soggy Dollar Bar (Some people call it the Soggy Bottom Bar). It got its name because you have to swim up to the bar from your boat, therefore getting your dollar wet and soggy. The Painkiller was started there, the best known drink in the British Virgin Islands. It is made with Pineapple Juice, Orange Juice, Coco Lopez, and Pusser's Rum. Has to be Pusser's. No other rum works. Also, with fresh nutmeg on top. By the way, Foxy's is a hoot.:p :p

Hi Tracy, Also on Jost Van Dyke is the Soggy Dollar Bar (Some people call it the Soggy Bottom Bar). It got its name because you have to swim up to the bar from your boat, therefore getting your dollar wet and soggy.

Stonie,

I stand corrected. Looks like I need to make another trip back there and check it out!! damn! :p

Tracy

Of course, everyone has different tastes so you may not enjoy these.

I like the frozen (miami Vice,Mango tango, etc) but they tend to be VERY heavy.

I like Hpnotiq (A blue liquor made of Cognac, Vodka and fruit juices).

A hpnotiq Breeze is:

1 part Hpnotiq

1/2 part Malibu or other Cocnut Rum

Splash pineapple juice.

If you like Margaritas instead try:

1 part good tequila (Cabo Wabo, 1800, etc)

1/2 part Triple Sec

1 Part Hpnotiq

1 1/2 part sour mix

1/2 part Blue Curacao

This doesn't really have a name but they should be able to make one on board if you tell them how.

You may hate these....or you may love them. But, hey...you'll never know til you try.

I LOVE Margaritas!! This sounds great, thanks for sharing...I am so ready for one now :p

Stonie,

I stand corrected. Looks like I need to make another trip back there and check it out!! damn! :p

Tracy

Hi Tracy, wasn't trying to correct you. Just didn't want you to miss out on the Painkiller. Jost Van Dyke brings back a lot of memories when we were there. Don't know if you knew of Harris's restaurant on Yost. Mr. Harris served us dinner on Sunday night and was murdered by a cousin's son on Monday morning. A nicer man you could not have met. His restaurant was just around the corner from Foxy's. Mr. Harris made the best Pina Coladas I have ever had.

We don't drink much these days (I pretty much gave it up after people stopped giving it to me for free in college), but after reading this list I think we'd better start practice drinking now to be ready for the cruise in 3 weeks. All of these sound really good even if they are on the sweet side.

...Bloody Marys for morning Bingo sessions, several of the Drinks of the Day for around the pool or afternoon bingo sessions (Miami Vice, Hurricane, CocLoco, Mango Tango - all are perfection), lemonade with extra lemons for lunch, champagne before dinner, wine with dinner, after dinner drink of the night (love those "loving cups") and water the rest of the night. Yes, we filled a suitcase with souvenir glasses!:D

Miami Vice and a Sting Ray. The Sting Ray had rum, pineapple and Blue

Curacao and something else, not too sure. They had them after Grand

Cayman on our last cruise.

I'm glad to hear that I 'm not the only one who has a suitcase full of

drink glasses at the end of the cruise! We always get them out

to use at our annual summer party/family reunion and they're a

big hit:)

what are "loving cups"?

Loving cups are the after dinner cordials that they provide you with (for a fee of course). They can be made up of different things and are about the size of a shot glass (shooter style). The one I had was 1/2 amaretto and 1/2 kahlua I believe. It sounded strong and undrinkable (I'm not a shot person) but they actually go down nice and easy and they are so good. I believe they are souvenier cups that they serve them in and they come in cool colors. I left mine on the table because my DH prohibited me from collecting any more souvenier cups. :D

I go with the LI Ice Teas - more bang for the buck.

We call them Texas Tea here in Dallas. What is the highest number of them that you drank at one sitting? My wife had 2 and could not stand up. She had to be helped to the car. Don't try that on a cruise ship as you may not make it back to your cabin.:o :o

what are "loving cups"?

Firstcruise05 is right. They are little shot glasses that are kind of shaped like chalices. They have a different color and different drink each night. The one we had was baileys and butterscotch schnapps. Very smooth and yummy. I think it was about 5.95 or 6.95. Usually the server gave us a refill (using the same cup)...but we always throw an extra dollar on the tip line. The cups are small, easy to carry home and non-breakable.

Archived