Split, Croatia: Has Anyone Taken the 2 1/2-hour Tuk-Tuk Tour While At Port In Split?

This 2 1/2 hour tour looks very good to me.  Our group is about to 'go for it'.

Looks like we'd get to visit the Diocletian Palace (among other things) and then go up for some free time with a great view of the city at Teraca Velidica.  And since it's such a short excursion that is a big plus to us because we would then have plenty of time to go out on our own once we return to the port ... maybe sample a little Croatian food (suggestions welcome there)

The only concern I would have is the possibility of riding around in a Tuk-Tuk in inclement weather.  But we always take that risk on these sorts of things.

So.... Has anyone done this Tuk-Tuk tour?  Hopefully so.  Because I look forward to hearing from you.

5 hours ago, lisaatric said:

I’m going to admit I don’t know what a Tuk-Tuk is but I DO know you can walk to the palace from the ship in about 15 minutes.  

Thanks for that info.  It's that view that I'm really interested in.  Walking there might be a stretch.  But it's good to know that neat stuff is near the port.  Thanks.  If we don't do that Tuk-Tuk (or equivalent) we'll probably just do the palace, etc. on our own.  Thanks again.

Looks like we'd get to visit the Diocletian Palace (among other things) and then go up for some free time with a great view of the city at Teraca Velidica.

AJ, just some (perhaps unwanted) info from me before you book this tour.

Having visited Split 3 times, we have a fair idea of the layout of the city and although it sounds like a fun idea,  a tuk tuk tour may not be the best way to see it, with the principal reason being that much of central Split is completely pedestrianised, including the often crowded and narrow streets around the Diocletian  Palace and the length of the Riva promenade. Both those areas are an easy  10-15 minute walk  from the ship  and are quite fun and easy to stroll on foot.  I would therefore imagine that  any motorised tours will be running around the outer areas of the city, where fewer of the main sights are to be found, although it could be that since our most recent visit to Split the local authorities have reopened those narrow streets to motorised vehicles, or perhaps tuk tuks are exempt and can enter the pedestrian areas.  You could find that out before booking as i cannot give you a definitive answer on the route a tuk tuk tour would take.

Secondly,  You say you want to enjoy the views from Teraca Velidica, which is actually the name of a cafe/bar/restaurant located beside the VELEDICA VIEWPOINT part way up Marjan Hill,.which we visited on our 3rd visit to Split.  There are several ways to reach it and it appears that your tuk tuk tour might take you up there.  We know of two ways to get there on foot, but when we were enjoying cold beers at the Teraca Velidica, we saw not one, but two taxis drop off fares at the viewpoint as there is an actual road from the city which ends right outside.the cafe/bar. From there, further access to higher up Marjan Hill is on foot.following the walkway. You mention free time at the viewpoint, but unless you want to climb further up the hill, there is only the cafe/bar/ restaurant  and the view, so perhaps you are planning a lunch there?

I would therefore suggest that you rethink the tuk tour of what could well be the perimeter of Split, walk to and explore the historic centre on foot, then the four of you share a taxi ride up to the viewpoint where the views are indeed magnificent and not to be missed.  You could have the taxi wait while you take photos or let it go and walk either further up Marjan Hill, or walk down to the city from the viewpoint. Your decision........

Should time allow at that point (and it may not)and  should you decide to walk down, you could either use the staircase or meander downhill through the Veli Varos neighbourhood both of which bring you down to sea level.  That is the route we took uphill to the viewpoint- but we had the time to do that although on a first visit your interests are likely to be more focused within the historic centre and the Riva.

There was a thread about it here.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2855730-split-on-your-own/#comment-63299669

See post #4 and much info if you internet search Veli Varos

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Looks like we'd get to visit the Diocletian Palace (among other things) and then go up for some free time with a great view of the city at Teraca Velidica.

AJ, just some (perhaps unwanted) info from me before you book this tour.

Having visited Split 3 times, we have a fair idea of the layout of the city and although it sounds like a fun idea,  a tuk tuk tour may not be the best way to see it, with the principal reason being that much of central Split is completely pedestrianised, including the often crowded and narrow streets around the Diocletian  Palace and the length of the Riva promenade. Both those areas are an easy  10-15 minute walk  from the ship  and are quite fun and easy to stroll on foot.  I would therefore imagine that  any motorised tours will be running around the outer areas of the city, where fewer of the main sights are to be found, although it could be that since our most recent visit to Split the local authorities have reopened those narrow streets to motorised vehicles, or perhaps tuk tuks are exempt and can enter the pedestrian areas.  You could find that out before booking as i cannot give you a definitive answer on the route a tuk tuk tour would take.

Secondly,  You say you want to enjoy the views from Teraca Velidica, which is actually the name of a cafe/bar/restaurant located beside the VELEDICA VIEWPOINT part way up Marjan Hill,.which we visited on our 3rd visit to Split.  There are several ways to reach it and it appears that your tuk tuk tour might take you up there.  We know of two ways to get there on foot, but when we were enjoying cold beers at the Teraca Velidica, we saw not one, but two taxis drop off fares at the viewpoint as there is an actual road from the city which ends right outside.the cafe/bar. From there, further access to higher up Marjan Hill is on foot.following the walkway. You mention free time at the viewpoint, but unless you want to climb further up the hill, there is only the cafe/bar/ restaurant  and the view, so perhaps you are planning a lunch there?

I would therefore suggest that you rethink the tuk tour of what could well be the perimeter of Split, walk to and explore the historic centre on foot, then the four of you share a taxi ride up to the viewpoint where the views are indeed magnificent and not to be missed.  You could have the taxi wait while you take photos or let it go and walk either further up Marjan Hill, or walk down to the city from the viewpoint. Your decision........

Should time allow at that point (and it may not)and  should you decide to walk down, you could either use the staircase or meander downhill through the Veli Varos neighbourhood both of which bring you down to sea level.  That is the route we took uphill to the viewpoint- but we had the time to do that although on a first visit your interests are likely to be more focused within the historic centre and the Riva.

There was a thread about it here.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2855730-split-on-your-own/#comment-63299669

See post #4 and much info if you internet search Veli Varos

This is great advice..... Thanks.   In case you see this, is the view up there worth the taxi ride to that terrace and other sites you mentioned.  The pictures look stunning.  .

s the view up there worth the taxi ride to that terrace and other sites you mentioned.  The pictures look stunning

If you have seen photos of the view from the viewpoint, then I think you have already answered your own question.

Although I don't know the road  route or the length of time a taxi would take, (we walked up) I am guessing it would only take a few minutes as it is above the city, but that is something else you could check ahead of time.  A local TOURIST INFORMATION OFFICE could probably advise about that, also if tuk tuks are allowed into pedestrianised areas, and you could e-mail them after internet searching for their website and contact info. Over the years we have found such offices very helpful, although less so when they are closed or only operating part time during winter/low season dates.

Or contact the tuk tuk tour company and ask about the route a tour would take.

And a taxi would be less costly than paying for 4 passengers on a tuk tuk tour would it not?

Apart from the cafe/bar and the footpath going further uphill, the only other "point of interest" close to the viewpoint was a gate leading into an old Jewish Cemetery. We didn't go in as it looked very overgrown and dilapidated.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...