How to use Free At Sea credits/packages for Guest 3 & 4 only, not Guest 1 & 2?

burntwaffle

My mom booked a 7-day cruise for her and a friend, and I think she got the Free At Sea 3rd & 4th guest promotion, and added me and my boyfriend to the cruise as guests 3 & 4 in her cabin.

Mom and her friend don't want to use any of those packages that come with Free At Sea (free 150min wifi, 2-meal specialty dining, shore excursion credit, etc.), and she wanted me and my boyfriend to use them instead.  (We've cruised with them before, they literally do nothing but sit in the cabin and watch TV, even in port, and won't join us on excursions, they don't drink, etc. so it's really wasted on them).

How can I make that happen? We are already checked-in for this Saturday's sailing. The website and the app only allow us to select my mom (Guest 1) or her friend (Guest 2) for excursion credit. Do I just book using my mom and friend, and then my boyfriend and I go instead? Do they ask for IDs or anything?

As for the wifi, can I still use the wifi since my mom's not going to? I'm assuming I can just login with her account?

Also, how can I go to the specialty dining places (I've actually never been) as a Guest 3 & 4 using the Free at Sea package? You can make a reservation without specifying which guests, but do you need to actually be guest #1 or #2 to eat there? Do they check your ID or something?

Can I just ask Norwegian to change me and my boyfriend to be guest 1 & 2? Does that actually have any further implications? (I mean, technically, we're paying mom back for the cruise anyway, so I don't mind if I'm responsible for charges or whatever).

I guess I just don't understand NCL's reasoning behind why it must be Guest 1 & 2, if my mom and her friend don't plan to use the Free At sea perks at all and want to give them to me instead, and I'm wondering if someone can tell me if I'll encounter difficulties if I'm trying to use the packages as listed above. I don't want to do anything wrong, I want to go about it the right way. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

The wifi can be easily given to you (3rd and 4th passenger) as it involves just signing onto a device using credentials that you’d obtain from your mom. 

However for the other perks. Sorry but the only way for 3rd and 4th passenger to use the dining, drinks and shore excursion package would be to make the 3rd and 4th person in that cabin as persons 1 and 2. That could be extremely difficult to do as you are already past final payment date and sailing shortly. 

As of why NCL limits it like this. Well that’s how they have designed the promo. Pax 1-2 pay the full prices but get perks. Pax 3-4 sail ”for free” but if they want to get the perks they need to pay. NCL is in the money making business and they want to get money out of those ”free” 3-4 pax too. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The way free at sea works now, everyone in the cabin gets the drink package assuming your mom selected it and paid the gratuities on it for all 4.  The dining does not work that way so not sure what you would do there.

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 4:15 AM, European_CruiseGirl said:

The wifi can be easily given to you (3rd and 4th passenger) as it involves just signing onto a device using credentials that you’d obtain from your mom. 

This is great to know as my husband and I (guests 1 and 2) plan on enjoying some specialty dining without our kids, while our two teens (guests 3 and 4) would love to enjoy the wifi package.  Everyone is happy. LOL!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burntwaffle said:

Hm, okay, well, I guess I'll just need to go talk with Guest Services and hope they can help me.

Thanks, everyone!

You could also have your mom call now, see if you can get a helpful NCL rep that can switch the order of the guests in the cabin.  

I read a post (I think Ms.Bird's post) where she was able to have them switch the order before they left.

I don't think all the phone reps could handle such a thing, but maybe you would find one that could!  It can't hurt and you may not need to talk to Guest Services on Saturday.

I hope you post about your trip :)