Texting other passengers using the MSC for Me app?

drsmith

I'm sailing on the Meraviglia this Sunday, December 11.

I think I read somewhere you can text other passengers using the MSC for Me app.  This is my first MSC cruise, so I have no first hand knowledge of how the app works.  I've read that others use it to view the schedule, etc.  But I haven't seen anybody mention anything about being able to text other passengers using the app WITHOUT having to purchase wifi.  If it does work without having to purchase wifi, does the texting feature also work while on Ocean Cay?

I also saw somebody mention a GPS on the app to help navigate around the ship.  Anybody have first hand knowledge about this?

I'll be cruising with my Mother and we've booked separate rooms.  Keeping up with each other would definitely be easier if we can text using the app.  And finding our way around the ship would be easier if there is a GPS navigation feature.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

DW and I used it on Meraviglia in October.  Worked well for texting each other, at least on the ship.  Did not use it at Ocean Cay, but you do have to log out of the ship's wifi and switch to Ocean Cay's while on the island.

4 hours ago, JAGR said:

DW and I used it on Meraviglia in October.  Worked well for texting each other, at least on the ship.  Did not use it at Ocean Cay, but you do have to log out of the ship's wifi and switch to Ocean Cay's while on the island.

And you did this without having to purchase a wifi plan?  Correct?

12 hours ago, drsmith said:

And you did this without having to purchase a wifi plan?  Correct?

We were in Yacht Club, so had free wifi.  However, MSC says the messaging is free on the My MSC app, which works whether or not you have an internet plan.  I should note that you do have to set up people you want to be able to IM, and they have to accept it.  Not hard to set up at all, though.

3 hours ago, JAGR said:

We were in Yacht Club, so had free wifi.  However, MSC says the messaging is free on the My MSC app, which works whether or not you have an internet plan.  I should note that you do have to set up people you want to be able to IM, and they have to accept it.  Not hard to set up at all, though.

Thank you for your feedback.  

On 12/7/2022 at 4:39 PM, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

We leave in 11 days. Will the app work work in airplane mode? I don't want any extra charges from my cell company by surprise and I know airplane mode is the best way to do that but trying to figure out how the app will work as I don't purchase internet as I don't really use it on vacation.

Yes, the app will work on airplane mode. You are not required to pay for wifi.

The texting function requires the ship's wifi to work, but you do not need to purchase internet access for this. Simply connecting to the ship's wifi network is free and lets you use all of the functions of the MSC for Me app, and flash the QR codes at bars, etc.

Airplane mode may turn your phone's wifi function off by default, but you can turn it back on and then select the ship's network.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 3:09 PM, Match Game 72 said:

Please note that free texting is not available for passengers under 18 years old.

Could you please clarify?  My 13 and 10 year old travel companions will not be permitted to use the text messaging feature of the MSCforMe app? I could understand them not being allowed to add additional people to their texts, they won't they be able to text even their own parents?

Edited by Showtune
typo

3 hours ago, Showtune said:

Could you please clarify?  My 13 and 10 year old travel companions will not be permitted to use the text messaging feature of the MSCforMe app? I could understand them not being allowed to add additional people to their texts, they won't they be able to text even their own parents?

Yes, that was our experience. When I spoke to the front desk, they told me it was because US privacy laws required 18+.

We got around this by having him logged in as his father and then he could text me.

Is the 18 and up something they enforce? I was speaking to a customer service representative who told me that it is a recommended age but that my kids (15 and 14) could still use it. I am suspicious of this, because I assume the app would enforce this since it knows their ages. And the customer service reps are often clueless.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OllieS0806 said:

Is the 18 and up something they enforce? I was speaking to a customer service representative who told me that it is a recommended age but that my kids (15 and 14) could still use it. I am suspicious of this, because I assume the app would enforce this since it knows their ages. And the customer service reps are often clueless.

In our experience (ymmv) the app knew his age and did not have the texting enabled.

For some cruises, we had the free WiFi for two devices. We used one on my phone and one on DS phone. So we could use an app like Telegram instead of the free messaging in MSC app.

• 3 weeks later...

I was the original poster who asked the question and I'd like to follow up by saying the app worked great!  It's kind of tricky to set up the text feature.  You have to search for fellow passengers, then scan their QR code to add them to your list of contacts.  Once it's in there, it works great.  You get a notification sound when a message comes in, and they come in within a few seconds of being sent.

We did not purchase an internet package, we just used the free wifi to operate the app on the ship and on the island.  I also enjoyed planning my day by scrolling through the activities and "adding" them to my personal agenda.  The app sent me a reminder notification 30 minutes before each even, just in case I forgot.  I liked that feature as well.

• Like 2