The Shaping of Panama Excursion suggestions

coachmouchet

My family will be traveling on the Volendam for the Panama Canal cruise next week.  One excursion that caught my eye is "The Shaping of Panama".  It says that you will travel by coach to Panama City and visit the old and the new.  Has anyone done this excursion before and if so, is it a good one?

Thanks!

We did this several years ago, so it might have changed. My recollection is you spend a lot of time on the bus. But we did find the ride from Gatun Lake to Panama City quite interesting for scenery. I remember seeing a gigantic ant hill. In the old city, you drive around some ruins, which was fine- pretty much just rubble, and have a decent walking tour through the old quarter. (prepare for the heat). At some point there was a stop at a small duty free mall. It was okay, lots of souvenir junk. I think we got an ice cream in there somewhere. The contrast of old and new buildings in the city was very interesting to see.

The drive back was not so great because you are stalled a lot in rush hour traffic.The single biggest issue we had and still remember is the lack of planning for a washroom stop on the return trip. Sitting in traffic for ages, my husband made the driver pull into a small gas station. And EVERYONE on the bus got out and waited in line.. So, a decent tour, you see quite a bit, but tiring. Just make sure the driver makes a rest stop plan for the return.