Our NCL Discount

TrpngBilly

We had a cruise booked on Escape for April of 2023.  In early 2022 NCL emailed an apology along with a 10% credit toward a future cruise saying that the cruise had been cancelled because they were changing the Escape itineraries and they wanted to offer guests on Escape a "new experience". Ok, out of our control so we made other vacation plans because we specifically needed that week.  Fast forward 6 months and we find a slightly different itinerary on Escape for the very same week that we needed.  We love the Escape so we booked a balcony room for the 4 of us and interestingly enough it was a lower fare than our original cruise.  Here's the interesting part; I call NCL to apply the 10% credit that was given to us from the cruise they cancelled on us and it worked out to a whole $2 off our cruise fare.  The NCL rep seemed puzzled too but it was clear that they were simply reading the data that was available to them.  I'm still trying to figure out how $2 is any consolation for a cancelled cruise and I'm open to any thoughts from the cruise critic community.

I have received a couple of these discounts and they have always come through as the sort of discount that I would expect.

It isn’t quite as simple as 10% off the total, as the discount doesn’t apply to the taxes and fees, but it was certainly a discount off the cruise fare. It sounds like yours is wrong.

They do have history with this sort of thing. A few years ago we had a cruise shortened by a day. They promised a pro rata discount and when it came through it was £10. It took a long time, and quite a few NCL staff to be involved (who all clearly didn’t understand the basics) before they got it sorted and we got our correct discount (plus some OBC as an apology).

10 minutes ago, molemaui said:

Correct. The current cruise fare is likely to be somewhat to a lot higher than it was when the discount was issued. 

You miss my point.

The discount is off the current cruise fare. Therefore, if the current cruise fare is X then you would expect the discounted fare to be X-10%. If I read the OP's post correctly then they are saying that the discounted fare is X-$2. Any change in prices between the original cruise is irrelevant in that case.

Anyway, the OP has stated that the fare is lower than the original.

Perhaps the OP could clarify.

Edited by KeithJenner

3 hours ago, TrpngBilly said:

I call NCL to apply the 10% credit that was given to us from the cruise they cancelled on us and it worked out to a whole $2 off our cruise fare.  The NCL rep seemed puzzled too but it was clear that they were simply reading the data that was available to them.  

None of us have the specifics of your cruise pricing so we're just guessing.  However, it may be detailed on your cruise confirmation.  Not sure if they price out the cruise at regular fare and have a separate line item reflecting the 10%; of course, that would be the most transparent way to do it.

As others have stated, it's a discount from base fare so not inclusive of gratuities, taxes/fees, etc.  But I'd think it would be more than $2 in any case!

Edited by phillygwm

26 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

None of us have the specifics of your cruise pricing so we're just guessing.  However, it may be detailed on your cruise confirmation.  Not sure if they price out the cruise at regular fare and have a separate line item reflecting the 10%; of course, that would be the most transparent way to do it.

As others have stated, it's a discount from base fare so not inclusive of gratuities, taxes/fees, etc.  But I'd think it would be more than $2 in any case!

In my experience there is no separate line for the discount.

One of my bookings is similar to the OP's (if I understand them correctly). I made a booking before I had received my discount for a cancelled cruise and then the discount was applied afterwards. If I look at the two confirmations they are identical other than that the Guest Fare is reduced on the new one. The percentages don't quite work out, and the discount (NCL's always available x% off) is the same so they are obviously adjusting for that. The price I got was very close to what I had calculated before I called.

If the OP is comparing their new price with the original for that same booking then it certainly looks incorrect to me, based on what we know. I wonder whether the booking agent is doing a cancel and rebook and the price has changed. Unless something has changed there is no need for it it be done that way as these discounts can be applied retrospectively.

I should add that I'm in the UK so some things may be different, but I can't see anything obvious that would differ in this instance.

Did you book a haven room?  If so the decrease in fare may have been only $2.00 or $1.00 as shown below.  I have no explanation why that's the case.   If booking balconies an below then the %10 off makes more sense(in the $300 range).  The 10% off coupon I(and may others) received for this cruise seems to work this way.

otal
$15,446.74
STATEROOM
2 Guests
  • The Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite with Large Balcony
    $29,156
    2nd Guest Cruises Free
    $14,578
FREE AT SEA
  • Open Bar
    Selected
  • Specialty Dining
    Selected
  • Shore Excursions
    Included
  • WiFi
    Included
+MORE OFFERS
  • 2nd Guest Cruises Free
    Included
  • Subtotal
    $14,578
  • Gov. Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses
    $527.94
  • Open Bar Gratuities
    $305.20
  • Specialty Dining Gratuities
    $35.60
  • Your 10% Off Coupon – Latitudes Cruise, Norwegian Escape, April 16th 2023 #XXXXXXXX
    -$1
Total Due
$15,445.74

Edited by davencl