Parental Consent Form

BibiW

I'm a newbie to these boards. My husband, 2 daughters (13, 15) and two friends (12, 16) will be cruising on the Carnival Pride to the Mexican Riveria. Thanks to this board I found out about the Parental Consent Form and have them signed, notarized, and ready to go. My question: Who will ask for these forms and when? Do we need them when we come back to the States? Has anyone had a problem even when they had the form?

Thanks,

BibiW

My TA emailed me the forms as I am a single mom and have traveled with my kids.

I have them in files if you need them let me know.

I have either cruised with the notarizd form or a copy of my divorce decree etc....YET I have never been questioned...my last name is different from that of my children and I have always carried the required paperwork but to date I hav never been askes...

I would suggest making sure that yiu have everything you need just in case

My TA emailed me the forms as I am a single mom and have traveled with my kids.

I have them in files if you need them let me know.

I have either cruised with the notarizd form or a copy of my divorce decree etc....YET I have never been questioned...my last name is different from that of my children and I have always carried the required paperwork but to date I hav never been askes...

I would suggest making sure that yiu have everything you need just in case

I've always taken notarized letters, but have never been asked to see them. I'm afraid to not have them- that's the one time they would ask! I'm just wondering if anyone HAS been asked to show them??

My family will be cruising in Aug. My brother is divorced but will be bringing my 12 year old niece. Her mother has filled out the paperwork for him to get his daughter a passport. Will she still need to fill out/write a letter agreeing to travel for my niece? I just want to make sure we have everything correct before we get to the ship.

I'm divorced. My Children (14 & 16) have their passports. Their father had to provide a letter for me to get these. Do I still need a "permission slip" from their father?

My family will be cruising in Aug. My brother is divorced but will be bringing my 12 year old niece. Her mother has filled out the paperwork for him to get his daughter a passport. Will she still need to fill out/write a letter agreeing to travel for my niece? I just want to make sure we have everything correct before we get to the ship.

Yes, at least in theory a letter from the non traveling parent (doesn't even have to be a single parent situation, even applies when one parent is just not traveling) is required when leaving the country. I say "in theory" because plenty of (most?) people report never being asked for it, but it is still "required", so I wouldn't want to chance it!

The logic is that the situation can change at any time. Just because a parent agreed to a passport does not mean they agreed to this particular trip. The passport could have been for something specific like a school trip, or even when the parents were still together. Or, what was a perfectly happy, agreeable situation 2 months ago could have turned very ugly recently and a parent could now be taking a child out of the country very much against the other parents wishes!

The point is, the poor imigration officer who could ask for a consent form has no way of knowing what the current situation is. The only way to know that it is truly ok for this child to be leaving the country at this particular time with this particular person is to see written consent applicable to this trip. Again, I've seldom heard of it being requested, but this is the reasoning.

Yes, at least in theory a letter from the non traveling parent (doesn't even have to be a single parent situation, even applies when one parent is just not traveling) is required when leaving the country. I say "in theory" because plenty of (most?) people report never being asked for it, but it is still "required", so I wouldn't want to chance it!

The logic is that the situation can change at any time. Just because a parent agreed to a passport does not mean they agreed to this particular trip. The passport could have been for something specific like a school trip, or even when the parents were still together. Or, what was a perfectly happy, agreeable situation 2 months ago could have turned very ugly recently and a parent could now be taking a child out of the country very much against the other parents wishes!

The point is, the poor imigration officer who could ask for a consent form has no way of knowing what the current situation is. The only way to know that it is truly ok for this child to be leaving the country at this particular time with this particular person is to see written consent applicable to this trip. Again, I've seldom heard of it being requested, but this is the reasoning.[/quote

My question is, what if your children's father has not been around for 2 years? I know where there father is, we just don't have any contact with him. He does not call, nor see the kids. I know if I call him up to get him to sign something to take the kids on our family cruise in Oct. He is going to say get lost. Is there anything else that I can do. I do not want my children to have to stay home because there bio dad does not care about them.

last summer my cousins and I took our daughters on an all grils cruise. Our TA suggested that we have notorized letters from their fathers stating that they were aware of the trip, what countries we were going to visit and time frame. The letters were checked at the pre boarding area and the employee of Princess even asked the girls question including: are your parents married? what does your father think of you girls traveling without him? (maybe because we were a group of girls?) they also told us to take the letters with us into port, incase of an emergency (hosptial, illness). I also take along the emergency medical form (the one the kids get at the start of school each year, just ask the school for a blank one) notorized in case something happens while on the trip. Better to be safe than cause a stressful situation.

Also, my friend's husband past away and when she took her three sons on a cruise (about a year after he died), she had to take a copy of his death certificate to prove that their father was dead.

Have a great trip!

• 5 weeks later...

I posted the original question. We got back from our cruise yesterday. We didn't need the forms at embarcation or in any of the Mexican ports. On coming back to the US, the forms (one for each of our daughters' friends) were requested and then scrutinized by immigration. :(

BibiW

Last year we took our Grandson with us on his first cruise (age 9)... He lives with us and we have custody... We brought his birth Cerificate & medical papers, but did not even think about the custody papers, he has been with us for so long.... they did let us board and go on the cruise, but we had to wait a long time for the "OK" we were told that actually they could deny us boarding & they do REQUIRE some sort of document.... TRUST ME.... it is NOT something we will forget this year! sincerely Dan

Archived