Just off the Grandeur Review

Hi all,

Well the post cruise depression has started! We just got off the Grandeur this morning (03/06/2006). Embarking was a breeze, got there at 11:00 a.m. was on the ship having lunch in the Widjammer in less then 15 minutes! We were able to get into our rooms at 1:00. We were in adjoining rooms on the second deck interior (got the cheap rooms as we knew we wouldn't be spending much time in there :)

Food: We ate in the main dining room the first two nights (we sailed with 3 children and they couldn't handle sitting still that long) The food was good, good variety. Not excellent but good, deserts were very good as was the bread!! The windjammer for breakfast had all the usual, Eggs, hashbrown, sausage, bacon, rolls fruit etc. Breakfast was good everyone found things they enjoyed, if you like omelets they make made to order while you wait which my hubby says were good. Windjammer lunch was ok at best, lots of people were complaining about the selection but for the most part you could find something you liked. Windjammer for dinner, we enjoyed this, they lower the lights put table cloths on the tables it was usually very quiet in there, the food was quite good and usually some variety of what they had in the Main dinning room, much bigger selection of deserts YUMMY :) Solarium which serves hamburgers, hotdogs, pizza and Fry's. Was good, everyone LOVED their Fry's!!! The night we left Cozumel we had a pool side BBQ, lots of yummy BBQ and many different Mexican treats! Midnight buffet was good, very nice to see at least once...i probably wouldn't go to another but worth going at least once!

Adventure Ocean:

My 11 year old loved it, my 9 year old is shy but still had a good time but my 7 year old hated it, he found it to babyish as he said it. There weren't many kids on the cruise, so for the most part they combined the 6-8 and 9-11 year olds together. They kept the kids busy all and all they had fun.

Ports:

We were in Cozumel, yes we tendered in, it was very smooth, walked right on the tender no wait, same thing on the way back to the ship. Weather was beautiful we went to paradise beach, highly recommend this (not a ship tour) We paid 18 for a taxi for 5 people. Paid $8 for wrist bands for the family which allowed us use of the water tramp, water iceberg and floating mats. They have also started offering a snorkeling tour which we took and i would highly recommend! It was $35 for adults and $17 for the kids, they took us to the two best reefs in Cozumel, we saw Stingrays, many beautiful colorful fish and the guides were amazing!! there were on 10 people on the tour so we got lots of personal attention! It is a must to to take the snorkel tour and at that price you can't beat it!!!!

Lets see anything else I forgot?? Formal night was on the 2nd night, Soda cards are a good deal if you drink it or have kids who do...they no longer give out souvenir glasses with the soda card. Debarking was fast off the ship by 8:15 and we were second to last color called! All in all awesome cruise. Time to go sulk and dream about the next :)

Yes the food is different in the Windjammer nightly, they usually have some version of what is served in the main dining room, they seem to have every night mashed potatoes or baked potatoes, rice, breads, salads and then the usually a chicken, beef and fish main course. On the 4 nighter there is only on formal night, on the five nighter there is two. In Cozumel you can take a mini van taxi..LOTS of them around we paid $ 18 for 5 people. It will easily fit 6 people.

Yes the food is different in the Windjammer nightly, they usually have some version of what is served in the main dining room, they seem to have every night mashed potatoes or baked potatoes, rice, breads, salads and then the usually a chicken, beef and fish main course. On the 4 nighter there is only on formal night, on the five nighter there is two. In Cozumel you can take a mini van taxi..LOTS of them around we paid $ 18 for 5 people. It will easily fit 6 people.

I just came off a 5 night on the Grandeur and there was only 1 formal night...it was the first sea day.

Hi, my family and I will be on the Grandeur the week of April 17th. We have adjoining rooms on the second floor - just wondering your thoughts on having the adjoining rooms. Where are the doors located? Could you leave them open if you wanted to?

Thanks.

the adjoining rooms are great if you have kids, I wouldn't want one with other adults as you can hear through the door quite well! the door can be left open and does not lock. It was located between the beds and the bathroom, normally there is a small couch there but instead of the small couch you have an armchair, which was more comfortable anyways :) It worked out great! we were also on the second floor 2047-2049

Thanks for posting your review. We leave on the Grandeur April 29 for our first B2B and I can't seem to get enough info, even though we've already sailed her! Do you think I have some sort of cruisitice disease? :)

Thank you so much for the great review. my husband and I and 2 children 12 & 15 will be going on the Granduer in July.. I can't wait... we went on our first cruise last year and I think we are hooked.. went on the carnival legend last year and loved it.. hope this cruise is just a good or better.. thanks also for the info about cozumel.. we are looking for things to do with out booking on the ship.. do you have any other info about costa maya.. i would be interested in hearing about that too..

thanks again

I know what you mean Murphy, although I sailed on her in Dec between that time and our March cruise I was still reading all I could find on her...must be catchy :)

Sailin again, you will have a great time on the Grandeur as far as Costa Maya goes I have no info. We were on a 4 nighter so our only stop was Cozumel, but I am sure someone can chime in here and give you some info :)

We sailed during Presidents Day week. Costa Maya was a wonderful stop. We took a bus to Majuahal (sp) and totally enjoyed the area. The people who worked/lived in this beach town were very friendly. Did a snorkle tour for 1.5 hours for $10.00pp which was decent. They took us out in a boat towing a banana boat and let us explore. Grandeur is a nice ship with great food in the Windjammer. I thought their food was better in the buffet area than Carnival, but I preferred Carnival's dining room food more. If you go to Costa Maya make sure you leave the downtown village area that you dock at, there is so much more to see in the beach town and the prices are more reasonable.

Have fun!

the adjoining rooms are great if you have kids, I wouldn't want one with other adults as you can hear through the door quite well! the door can be left open and does not lock. It was located between the beds and the bathroom, normally there is a small couch there but instead of the small couch you have an armchair, which was more comfortable anyways :) It worked out great! we were also on the second floor 2047-2049

Thanks for the info. We are on the other side of the floor - rooms 2623-2625. This is our first RCCL cruise - have done 4 Carnival cruises and enjoyed them very much. See from your posts on the Cozumel threads that you went to Paradise Beach and did the snorkeling tour and enjoyed it. You mentioned that you had your kids on the cruise. I have two - 14 and 15 - what kinds of activities are there for the kids other than the rock climbing wall?

There are lots of things to do through the ocean adventure club. They have an area just for teens, they have teen parties/dances every night, they have their own compass (daily news letter) geared towards the age of the child that lists all the days activities for them and the times they are happening. The older kids seemed to be having a wonderful time. always something going on!

Thanks for the review! How many nights was your cruise? We are sailing on the Grandeur in April for 5 nights. I have read conflicting posts as to whether there will be 1 or 2 formal nights on our cruise and want to be sure to pack the right clothes without overpacking!

Archived