Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

2 hours ago, cruising denise said:

Are there any opportunities for dancing onboard?  On our last ocean cruise we never went to Torshavn because we were just too tired to stay up!  But Ed and I recently started taking ballroom dancing lessons, and even though we're about as graceful as a pair of elephants, we are enjoying it a lot and it would be fun to have a chance to dance while we are traveling.

Plenty of opportunity to dance. Not as much ballroom; there are a few opportunities with a string duo or solo piano playing.

6 hours ago, cruising denise said:

Are there any opportunities for dancing onboard?  On our last ocean cruise we never went to Torshavn because we were just too tired to stay up!  But Ed and I recently started taking ballroom dancing lessons, and even though we're about as graceful as a pair of elephants, we are enjoying it a lot and it would be fun to have a chance to dance while we are traveling.

• Several nights they offer "Dancing Under the Stars" where they open the pool roof, bring the band and singers up, and everyone dances to the band.  Very fun!
  • Like 2

On 2/13/2023 at 1:19 AM, mbviking2023 said:

New blog post up about our visit to the Penguin Parade on Phillip Island, Australia.

After reading through the WC blogs and seeing mention that it was a 15 minute walk to the seating area to watch the little penguins on Phillip Island, and considering that there are passengers with mobility limitations, I was wondering how accommodating the path to the seating area is for those with mobility limitations?  e.g., Does the path have railings?  Are there benches to rest along the way?  Does the path accommodate mobility scooters?  What type of shoes are recommended for the trek?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UWDawg said:

After reading through the WC blogs and seeing mention that it was a 15 minute walk to the seating area to watch the little penguins on Phillip Island, and considering that there are passengers with mobility limitations, I was wondering how accommodating the path to the seating area is for those with mobility limitations?  e.g., Does the path have railings?  Are there benches to rest along the way?  Does the path accommodate mobility scooters?  What type of shoes are recommended for the trek?

They had an electric golf cart type transport for those who needed assistance the the venue. It was very accommodating. However, they would have been at the very top of the high school type seating viewing area.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mcobean said:

I absolutely love the photos 📷 you've posted.  They are FANTASTIC.  You really have an eye 👀 for capturing the moment as well as views which make me almost feel as though I was there with you.  Thank you for sharing.  🐨

• Like 2

Just put our down payment on the 2025 Viking World Cruise, so I eagerly read these 6 or 7 WC blogs every morning as I enjoy my coffee. What a thorough way to get a feel for the real thing -- some bloggers focus on excursions, others on ship activities or lectures, and others describe independent touring, nature, art, and architecture. The only feature I do not see a lot about is food. Is there a foodie posting on the WC?

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Journeyer22 said:

Just put our down payment on the 2025 Viking World Cruise, so I eagerly read these 6 or 7 WC blogs every morning as I enjoy my coffee. What a thorough way to get a feel for the real thing -- some bloggers focus on excursions, others on ship activities or lectures, and others describe independent touring, nature, art, and architecture. The only feature I do not see a lot about is food. Is there a foodie posting on the WC?

Food is awesome. No lack of variety. And usually able to get into the two specialty places without problem.

Oh, I DID see that. Was thoroughly impressed with that menu. And the photos of the specialty fish have also been worthy of oohs and aahs. Wondering about Kitchen Table experiences or any other food and/or wine classes or "behind the scene" tours offered on the ship?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruising denise said:

And I loved the fact that Mike and Becky ate bugs, emu and kangaroo yesterday or day before..!!!  Check out his blog for pix....

It helps a little to know that Bugs is Australian slang for bay lobster….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, in the "safety first" category, we didn't get to go ashore to Thursday Island in the Torres Strait.  Some folks made it on the earlier tenders, but the wind and waves were so bad the captain pulled all the remaining excursions and ordered everyone back on board as soon as possible.  We took some nice photos of the area though and managed to cobble together a little post about it.

http://twohappysloths.com

toppub.jpg

My husband and I were very, very lucky to be able to see the abundant quantity and various species of coral and fish in the outer reef (specifically, Moore Reef). Why lucky? Firstly, the weather (wind and rain) was unpredictable. The day we were in Cairns was rainy and sea was not very calm. The rain and wind died down when we arrived at the reef area. Secondly, we went further out enough (outer reef instead of inner or near Cairns coast) to be able to see very healthy and colorful coral.  The variety is amazing. We saw almost all of the species that Professor David Drewry showed us in his presentation’s slides (attached one of his photos). There were also many schools of big and small fish.  We got to pat the Wally fish (see Becky’s photo) as they swam by us.  Lastly, the fact that we went to a stable pontoon platform via a big catamaran (independent tour) helped a lot, in terms of less motion sickness and easier getting into those tight stink suit (protection from jellyfish) and fins, and into/out of water.

The day earlier when we snorkeled in Whitsunday (Airlie Beach), we did not see any fish or interesting coral (only some dull brown color). Think the main reason is that we were in the inner reef area.  Due to short port time, our tour was shortened from the normal 7-hr to only 5-hr, hence no chance to visit the outer reef.  Weather was perfect though, and we had a comfortable snorkeling experience.

E9809601-D40D-41AA-8110-4CA8EF7D9C9F.jpeg

• Like 4

My husband and I would like to thank Andy and Judi (Heidi13) and Janet Oliver for organizing and coordinating our independent tour to Blue Mountain (Sydney, Australia). Without this independent tour, we would have missed the opportunity to visit Blue Mountain (our bucket list).  In addition to Blue Mountain, we got to visit Featherdale Wildlife Park to see the largest collection of Australian animals and birds.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

My husband and I were very, very lucky to be able to see the abundant quantity and various species of coral and fish in the outer reef (specifically, Moore Reef). Why lucky? Firstly, the weather (wind and rain) was unpredictable. The day we were in Cairns was rainy and sea was not very calm. The rain and wind died down when we arrived at the reef area. Secondly, we went further out enough (outer reef instead of inner or near Cairns coast) to be able to see very healthy and colorful coral.  The variety is amazing. We saw almost all of the species that Professor David Drewry showed us in his presentation’s slides (attached one of his photos). There were also many schools of big and small fish.  We got to pat the Wally fish (see Becky’s photo) as they swam by us.  Lastly, the fact that we went to a stable pontoon platform via a big catamaran (independent tour) helped a lot, in terms of less motion sickness and easier getting into those tight stink suit (protection from jellyfish) and fins, and into/out of water.

The day earlier when we snorkeled in Whitsunday (Airlie Beach), we did not see any fish or interesting coral (only some dull brown color). Think the main reason is that we were in the inner reef area.  Due to short port time, our tour was shortened from the normal 7-hr to only 5-hr, hence no chance to visit the outer reef.  Weather was perfect though, and we had a comfortable snorkeling experience.

E9809601-D40D-41AA-8110-4CA8EF7D9C9F.jpeg

Amazing. Can you share who you used for an independent tour? TIA!

Diana

18 hours ago, DJVKN said:

Amazing. Can you share who you used for an independent tour? TIA!

Diana

Greatadventures.com.au

See photo for catamaran docking next to pontoon.

Operator also offers tours to Green Island (a brief, loading/unloading stop when traveling to outer reef). This stop is good only if you want to swim at a beach, but not ideal for coral viewing.

8503D30E-3D2D-4500-AACB-ADE963461FF1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2