Snuba in Belize?

Has anyone had experience with snubaing the barrier reef in Belize? What did you think? How does it compare to snorkeling?

It would be my first experience at either one. Is snubaing difficult in any way?

Thanks,

Kate123

I do not speak of any experience to Belize, but it is the second largest barrier reef in the world and they say it is the "2nd place" to the GBR in Aussie. I believe you have to get certified for scuba. I don't know if they still do and which ones, but RCCL did offer certification classes onboard.

my dh and i have snuba (ed) twice once in hawaii and once on st john's.

great fun! very easy, and they give you instruction.

snorkel vs. snuba

sunlight determins the color you see under water so... if you snuba 20ft under the colors are not as bright as if you were only 12-15ft under or on top of the water.

amount of time diving depends on: how far you have to travel it get to dive site, how many are diving as there is instruction first -more people more time

(dh and i could have snorkeled an hour vs. the 15-20mins we were under water snuba(ing) ).

the tank is on a raft above you and your partner and a hose is attached the regulator that you breathe through. they will weight you down so you will stay under. they instruct you on some basic hand signals. they go over the equipment with you. they will take you on a tour keep an eye on your guide and your dive partner as well as the marine life. they may put food in the water and the colorful fish will swarm in to eat it. if you are nervous about this discuss it with your guide prior to the dive. i personally love crumbled fritos to feed the fish - they love fritos - check first as they may have a law against this.

ladies this may sound gross but being on your period will not preclude you from diving - you will NOT attract sharks - something about this blood actually repels sharks. (you can look this up online or call a local dive shop)

WARNING: if your ears are infected/aching do not dive you can seriously damage them

smooth sailings & sunny days enjoy!!!

my dh and i have snuba (ed) twice once in hawaii and once on st john's.

great fun! very easy, and they give you instruction.

snorkel vs. snuba

sunlight determins the color you see under water so... if you snuba 20ft under the colors are not as bright as if you were only 12-15ft under or on top of the water.

amount of time diving depends on: how far you have to travel it get to dive site, how many are diving as there is instruction first -more people more time

(dh and i could have snorkeled an hour vs. the 15-20mins we were under water snuba(ing) ).

the tank is on a raft above you and your partner and a hose is attached the regulator that you breathe through. they will weight you down so you will stay under. they instruct you on some basic hand signals. they go over the equipment with you. they will take you on a tour keep an eye on your guide and your dive partner as well as the marine life. they may put food in the water and the colorful fish will swarm in to eat it. if you are nervous about this discuss it with your guide prior to the dive. i personally love crumbled fritos to feed the fish - they love fritos - check first as they may have a law against this.

ladies this may sound gross but being on your period will not preclude you from diving - you will NOT attract sharks - something about this blood actually repels sharks. (you can look this up online or call a local dive shop)

WARNING: if your ears are infected/aching do not dive you can seriously damage them

smooth sailings & sunny days enjoy!!!

In other words, if you're going into shark infested waters you should always take a woman who is having her period, and you'll be safe?

My DD and I did SNUBA in St. Thomas in February. It is very easy to do and a lot of fun. The advantage is that it allows you to get closer to the deeper reefs where the larger fish are located. However, the maximum depth is 20feet so you are not getting that deep. Overall, I would recommend doing SNUBA over snorkling as the experience is much better.

The instructions are very easy to follow and the guide keep a close eye on you in case you have any problems etc. My DD is only 11 and she did not have any problems learning how to do it.

Archived