Chankanaab ??

pcjfromnc

• 2 weeks later...

When we were there it was not crowded but we went there right off the ship. We had a great time and the Sea Trek helmet dive is great fun. We did some snorkeling and walked the nature trail.

You can see our pics at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/angawsmrn@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=7fc1&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

and

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/angawsmrn@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=a105&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

We are planning on being there in May but we know they suffered major damage with Wilma. They are hoping to be open in April or so I hear.

CHANKANAAB LAGOON IN

"GOOD SHAPE"

20 Feb 2006

cozumel_chankanaab.jpg

The lagoon now.

Chankanaab lagoon has been cleaned up and is in "good shape" said Angel Pavía, spokesperson for Cozumel's Parks and Museums Foundation, in an interview with wilmacozumel.com.

The precious natural lagoon is one of the highlights at Chankanaab natural park. It was filled with sand from the beach by Hurricane Wilma but park employees have worked hard to empty and restore it to its original state.

Mr Pavía said that although some insurance delays mean the park will not open this month as originally hoped, work is still going well and it will re-open at the beginning of April.

He added that the new medium term plan for the park will include a spa, aquarium, improved wheelchair access and a children's zone with games.

Has anyone been to Chankanaab Park? Was it crowded? Was it worth the trip? I would love to hear your thoughts on this park.

There is current information about that park here...

http://wahootours.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=2163

The Cozumel Department of Tourism is offering some insight to find answers about the NEW Chankanaab

We sailed past Chankanaab on our snorkel excursion last week. It was very sad to see the current condition of the park. Workers were busy restoring the park, but there are some things that will take time to heal, such as the vegetation. Chankanaab was very lush and green, and even though there was new planting going on, it will take time from Mother Nature for the park to completely recover from Wilma.

Just cruised last week with NCL to COZUMEL. On snorkel trip we past Chakanaab and it is devastated. I would be very surprised if it opened by this summer. The shallow reefs that once lined the coast are badly damaged, as well, but don't hesitate to snorkel. The fish are coming back and we saw the most amazing star fish collection on the sandy bottom of Villa Blanca reefs last week. Well worth the trip!

You can snorkel from the shore easily at Villa Blanca or Dzul Ha reefs. But this time, we took the shore excursion because getting off the boat to tender in was so time consuming, we wanted top be in first groups off. The catamaran beach, snorkel and party trip was fantastic! Not a drunken site, but lots of fun with a great crew and super boat!

• 2 weeks later...

The cab ride was $12 each way when I was there last September. The park itself was not very crowded at all and we had a great time there. I am very saddened by the damage the park suffered, but it will come back and be just as wonderful.

When I interviewed Chankanaab's spokesman for wilmacozumel.com they planned to re-open in April... ie... soon!

I'm hearing varying reports about whether they are ready though, so I'll try to get another interview this week and will write an update story to let you all know how it's looking... as soon as they're open I'll be there with my camera and notebook to do a full review...

Ian

Hi Solita

I'm writing a short article for wilmacozumel.com about Chankanaab and have been told different information. Would you mind emailing me so we can compare sources?

Thanks!

Ian

contact@wilmacozumel.com

He called me on my cell not an email. And then about 10 days ago, I got to meet the big cheese of Dolphin Discovery out at Adventuras. He gave me the update on the dolphins reopen date.

Thanks Solita.

I was told by the Park's Spokesperson this week that it should be open in mid-May, with Dolphin Discovery opening in July. Although some people are sceptical and I suspect that date could slip a little more.

You can see the full story and new pictures from the Park at www.wilmacozumel.com

Anyone arriving before then: don't worry! There are still heaps of things to do in Cozumel, pretty much everything else is open now!

Hope that helps!

Ian

Thank you WILMA'S CONSCIENCE and SOLITA for keeping everyone in the loop on this. I have been watching everyday for updates. We will be in Cozumel on July 28th and currently have reservations for the Royal Dolphin swim at Dolphin Discovery. My 10 year old daughter has wanted to swim with the dolphins for a very long time and is REALLY excited, although I have told her we may not be able to do it. We don't want to go to the one offerred through the cruise line because of the time it takes (we want to spend some time in Cozumel with DH and DS along with aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents). I'm keeping my fingers crossed but will start preparing her now. Please continue to keep us updated. Thanks.

Archived