Venture - Iceland/Greenland voyage - advice please.

Dusko

We are looking at this voyage in June 2023 and would really appreciate some advice from someone who actually did this trip last year, the inaugural run. My wife and I are reasonably active though at different levels and I want to gauge whether one of us will be happily off hiking hills and such while the other is stuck on the ship.

I have read the comments about getting in and out of the zodiacs. It seems as though there is plenty of assistance available to load and unload. Am I right? How deep is the water for the wet landings? Do you wade ashore or step on the beach, assisted if necessary?

What are the hikes like? Are we climbing steep paths, not quite Pulpit Rock in Norway (done by one of us three years ago) but steep, or ??

Other than hiking what other types of trips are available? I know the kayaks and submarine will be available and there will be Zodiak trips but anything else?

Seabourn have assured us that the issues experienced with the relocation back to Reykjavik at the end of the trip have been addressed.

We do understand this is an adventure and not a cruise but any other tips would be appreciated.

Hi Dusko,

We have not had any problems getting in and out of Zodiacs on multiple cruises.

We had mostly dry landings. Wet landing are usually ankle or possibly shin deep and two or three steps to the land.   Remember, the boots are included on Venture. 

The Venture team will discuss the hikes and will tell you if they are difficult or not.   We did not do any hikes and many of the city walks were up hill both ways.🤔 All were very manageable.

We did the included bus tour on Heimay and several city walks. The walking tour to the Viking ruins at Hvalsey was fairly short, uneven and marshy but very doable. 

By the way, the trip back from Greenland to Iceland was not that terrible.😊

Perhaps other concerns are addressed in the thread listed below.

You will love the Venture and all the beauty of Iceland and Greenland.

Have a wonderful trip.

A&P

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2878981-live-again-from-the-venture/#comment-63900073

25 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Hi Dusko,

We have not had any problems getting in and out of Zodiacs on multiple cruises.

We had mostly dry landings. Wet landing are usually ankle or possibly shin deep and two or three steps to the land.   Remember, the boots are included on Venture. 

The Venture team will discuss the hikes and will tell you if they are difficult or not.   We did not do any hikes and many of the city walks were up hill both ways.🤔 All were very manageable.

We did the included bus tour on Heimay and several city walks. The walking tour to the Viking ruins at Hvalsey was fairly short, uneven and marshy but very doable. 

By the way, the trip back from Greenland to Iceland was not that terrible.😊

Perhaps other concerns are addressed in the thread listed below.

You will love the Venture and all the beauty of Iceland and Greenland.

Have a wonderful trip.

A&P

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2878981-live-again-from-the-venture/#comment-63900073

Thanks for a very prompt and helpful reply!  I read the thread you linked and it was very interesting.  A June trip should hopefully avoid some of the weather issues, but certainly not all.