Sea Lice in Bahamas?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew about sea lice, and where they're predominantly located?

I'm VERY freaked out by this, but don't want to skip a snorkeling excursion or going to the beach. Any info would be great!

Thanks,

~J

Miracle 6/26!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;26;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Don't know if sea lice is common in the Bahamas, but last July in Cozumel lots of people were affected. I ordered Safe Sea sunscreen lotion from lifestylesdirect.com. It is guaranteed to guard against sea lice. It comes in a couple different SPF strengths. My family used it on their snorkeling trip and nobody got stung.

Paula

I know you didn't ask this questiion but I got this from a web site. They did have some snorkelers that got stung but they had some medication to put on it and didn't seem to bother them any further for the rest of the cruise.

The previous post is good info also.

Sea Lice

Treatment of this dermatitis currently includes the administration of an antihistamine, such diphenhydramine, for the itching and the application of an over-the-counter 0.5% hydrocortisone cream to the rash areas. Persons suffering from exteneruptions, with or without urticaria, or with recurrences of symptoms may benefit from the administration of epinepherine as well as oral or intramuscular steroids. A prescription for 1.0% corticosteroid cream can also be given.

Comfort measures include bathing in a colloidal oatmeal preparation and applying calamine lotion. The latter may be good for children, who benefit from its visual placebo effect. Diphenhydramine and calamine (Caladryl) lotion should not be applied when an oral antihistamine is being used to avoid toxic effects, especially in children. Caution is also in order, to make sure that steroid creams, in combination with oral steroids, are not overused. This may occur when large body surfaces are involved.

As noted, children with seabather's eruption tend to exhibit febrile reactions more frequently than adults, probably because of their immune response. Parents should be observant and treat the symptoms. An additional recommendation for children is to clip their fingernails short, to avoid scratching of lesions.

Good personal hygiene, especially in the perineal area, will help patients of any age to avoid secondary bacterial infections. Should a secondary infection occur, as evidenced by purulent lesions that are not resolving, follow-up care with a dermatologist is recommended.

1/16/05 Conquest Cruzin' Crazies!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;16;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

http://community.webshots.com/user/logoshoe

I have had the Sea Lice after swimming in the Bahamas. Ask anything you want to know. I was glad I had packed Benedril spray and Hydrocordizone cream. I took a cold shower after getting out of the salt water, the ships doc. said that is the worse thing you can do, because it causes the Sea Lce to bury inself in your skin.

Becky

http://community.webshots.com/user/bjkeen100

Miracle Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;11;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

May Eastern Caribbean Carnival Cruise 2006

Miracle 2004

Pride 2003

Regent Rainbow

Sensation 2000

Fantasy 1996, 2001

Uhhh...how do you actually get sea lice?? I've never heard of this! Are they actually in the ocean water????

The Big Red Boat Oct.1991

Carnival Ecstasy Apr. 1998

RCL Sovereign of the Seas 2000

Carnival Imagination Apr. 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;4;3;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

TILL IMAGINATION, APRIL 3, 2004!!!!!

You can't see them, they live in the water and when you take a COLD shower they hang on to your skin. If you take a HOT shower and use soap you wash them off. My niece and I showers on the beach right after exiting the water. This was our mistake. We should have taken a hot shower when we returned to the ship. They make your skin itch and it looks like a rash. Don't scratch because it then begins to burn.

Becky

http://community.webshots.com/user/bjkeen100

Miracle Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;11;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

May Eastern Caribbean Carnival Cruise 2006

Miracle 2004

Pride 2003

Regent Rainbow

Sensation 2000

Fantasy 1996, 2001

Sea Lice

Note the "old wives tale" about not swimming in the Bahamas between Mothers Day and Fathers Day.

demon2.gif

namelogo.png

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Followed by:

Carnival Valor 10/30/05 CC Group

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

And then:

Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Perhaps something else as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

O.K. you all have scared me into purchasing the Safe Sea "stuff" I ordered it off the website & using a previous posters' generous sharing of her "trick" (trying to leave the system before making final purchase) I also got the free shipping. icon_wink.gif

My question is this. I bought the one for kids with spf30. Do you just apply it like you would sunscreen or do you have to basically rub it ALL OVER your ENTIRE body to repel those lovely sea lice? It sounds like they can get everywhere so I'm assuming you should actually apply it to every square inch of your body before even putting your suit on. Is that right? Anyone with experience with these little buggers want to chime in?

Thanks

Crusinthree,

Not real sure but I think I read somewhere that they are part of the jellyfish family and tides and time of year have a lot to do with them.

No real defense for them once in the water but there are good preventative measures like the lotions and cold showers.

1/16/05 Conquest Cruzin' Crazies!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;16;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

http://community.webshots.com/user/logoshoe

EWWWWW!!!!!! I am going to Cozumel the end of June and you can bet I will have cream ordered by then. LOL. I don't know for sure I will be getting in the water but I do know that if I get in I will be prevented against these little burgers. YUCK!!!

Nancy

sailing Conquest 6/27/04

The directions on how to apply are on the back of Safe Sea lotion. I read that they can stay in swimsuits, so be sure to take your suit off and wash it in the hot water shower. My family just applied the lotion to their extremities, not all over, and did it just before getting in the water to snorkel. They are part of the jellyfish family and are usually worse in June and July in the Caribbean. Not sure if the "season" extends into August.

Paula

After reading this thread I went and searched for sea lice online. I found a page that said they mainly sting when they get trapped in your bathing suit. So I am thinking that I will be putting this lotion under my suit also. That is if I even get in the water. Did anyone look at the link that tef sent. That rash looks very uncomfortable.

Nancy

sailing Conquest 6/27/04

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=969097554&m=443106591&r=182109591#182109591

Here is the link for the other Sea Lice thread that was started.... after reading more and more about the sea lice I decided to do what she did and get the lice lotion. I tried the trick she talked about and it worked (be sure to click on "return to shopping" instead of closing the actual window). I even did some research on how much it would cost and this site is the cheapest so far. Good luck guys!

~~Dolly

Carnival Jubilee 6/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

rscima,

Definitely put it under your suit. This is where they will likely bite you. Your extremities are at minimal risk, although I plan to put it all over.

Glad my little trick for free shipping is still working! Hopefully the company won't mind since they are probably experiencing a corresponding spike in sales!

Glory 6/5 - 4 snorkel trips!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guitargirl:

rscima,

Glad my little trick for free shipping is still working! Hopefully the company won't mind since they are probably experiencing a corresponding spike in sales!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the trick??? I need to order some of that stuff! Do I have enough time, I am sailing in 3 weeks?

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

Hi,

Don't worry about the sea lice.. we snorkled in Cozumel, and yes they were there.. but the only thing we noticed was a very tiny prick here and there on our arms every so often.. couldn't see them and it didn't bother us a bit after we got out of the water..

Mia.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlpacaRanchr:

Hi,

Don't worry about the sea lice.. we snorkled in Cozumel, and yes they were there.. but the only thing we noticed was a very tiny prick here and there on our arms every so often.. couldn't see them and it didn't bother us a bit after we got out of the water..

Mia.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure everywhere is different. Its not a bad idea just to be ready. I've heard many stories so far and some were very horrible experiences with the sea lice.

Halos - ready my last post, click on the link and it will tell you how the trick goes, its in the first post. You should have plenty of time, at least I hope so I just ordered mine today and I sail in 17 days....lol

~~Dolly

Carnival Jubilee 6/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Dolly,

Thanks...after the panic wore off I went back and found the link and the directions...I got the stuff without paying the shipping.

(don't you just hate shipping charges????)

I agree, better safe than sorry.

I certainly don't want to be running around the ship with that rash all over my body...I have enough body issues!

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by halos:

Dolly,

Thanks...after the panic wore off I went back and found the link and the directions...I got the stuff without paying the shipping.

(don't you just hate shipping charges????)

I agree, better safe than sorry.

I certainly don't want to be running around the ship with that rash all over my body...I have enough body issues!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your welcome icon_wink.gif.... Happy and Safe Sailing to you!!!

~~Dolly

Carnival Jubilee 6/2004

We encountered them in Barbados in October. They were annoying but I would not cancel anything because of them. They did not bother me half as much as a jellyfish sting. And I agree with AlpacaRanchr, the stings did not bother me after I got out of the water.

Destiny 1998

Paradise 2001

Princess Grand 2003

Archived