Got Covid from NCL Breakaway 12/23-30 from NOLA

Medgirl2001

On 1/2/2023 at 8:12 PM, resetjet said:

Zero is a rediculous statement.  A better way to put it is they are taking unnecessary chances,  and are not doing enough to prevent illness.  When i have been on cruises that had issues,  you could immediately see the teams go into action.  Wiping stair rails,  sanitizng everything,  washy washy staff being very particular.  I saw little of that.  If i were in charge,  i would have guys walking around in red vests with a squirt bottle everywhere.  Whatever you are doing,  make it known.  I am not saying go back to where we were.  But sooner rather then later its gonna make front page news.  Use a little Common sense.  I can’t imagine how the mask wearing covid afraid people

view it.  They may never cruise again.

My husband and I took a cruise on the Encore the week before Christmas. We wore our masks in public spaces (sitting in the atrium, at shows) but we didn't wear them at bars or restaurants when we were actively eating and drinking. We also were pretty diligent with the hand sanitizer, which are ALL over the ship. We didn't get sick. We had a great time.

I cruise in Feb for 18 days.  I have been doing a daily regimen for over 1 year of Multi-Vitamins, D, Zinc, C, as well as the intermitant hand sanitizing.  Had the original shot, Omicron last year. Not getting boosted.  In my opinion ,I hope keeping my immune system healthy will keep me from getting a bad case of anything.  My one trick that seems to work...first sign of sore throat, start drinking Cognac every 4 hours.  That should kill anything growing in my throat.

21 hours ago, uneamie said:

You do know that many people have to find blame with YOU if you accuse NCL of ANTHING at all. So pay them no mind. You weren't complaing about NCL, you were just making a point that people need to be cautious if they are high risk ect. I knew when I read your post what you meant and that you were just narrowing it all down. In the end....you were trying to be helpful. I don't know what's wrong people anymore. 

I don't think it's a question of there being anything "wrong" with people, I see it more this way: this site is popular with people who like to cruise. The cruise industry got blamed for a whole host of things over the period of 2020-2022 regarding Covid-19, much of which blame was misplaced or based on false assumptions. The idled sailings cost the industry a whole lot of money-some on this site opined that some of the major cruise lines might go bankrupt as a result. Fortunately, that hasn't happened. I agree with you that the OP was not seeking to place blame for her family's contracting Covid. But whenever I read that someone thinks he/she got Covid on a cruise, I start thinking "here we go again."

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I cruise in Feb for 18 days.  I have been doing a daily regimen for over 1 year of Multi-Vitamins, D, Zinc, C, as well as the intermitant hand sanitizing.  Had the original shot, Omicron last year. Not getting boosted.  In my opinion ,I hope keeping my immune system healthy will keep me from getting a bad case of anything.  My one trick that seems to work...first sign of sore throat, start drinking Cognac every 4 hours.  That should kill anything growing in my throat.

Wouldn't you have better protection if you started drinking Cognac every four hours prior to any signs of the dreaded Covid?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, LloydJr said:

I have had five Covid shots, actual Covid and I grew up on a farm where there was every kind of virus and bacteria known (or unknown) to man.  I'm talking livestock and manure everywhere.  I never get sick and I cruise like it's 1999.🥳

Same, except I’ve only had the original series, had COVID pre-vaccine and my immune system kicked COVID’s a**. Haven’t had an antibiotic in 15 years. There’s something to be said about being raised around all of that livestock cr*p!

On 1/2/2023 at 2:43 PM, resetjet said:

I went to the group activity on escape last month.  They had an activity girls vs boys which was over a half hour long with everyone touching everything and everybody.  They ended it by seeing how many people each sex could jam into a circle made of the 12 or so hilding hands.  The girls had 63 i think in their circle counting the 12 its 75 people you could not put a toothpick in between for over 5 min.  Just stupid imo.  Disclaimer.  I am not a covid worrier.  I do not wear masks,  etc.

With the various viruses that are going around, I agree that it's stupid to participate in something like that, if you care at all about not getting the latest virus du jour.  I also recognize some people don't care about that.  

On 1/2/2023 at 4:04 PM, Medgirl2001 said:

Agreed, I was worried we would get it, and we did. Just stating facts, and not placing blame.  Maybe. 5% of people were masking.  (We did not…). Maybe just a warning for high risk people to vax, mask, and/or don’t go.  It’s just a very high risk that you’ll get Covid, or the flu, or a GI bug, on a cruise, especially when they crowd people in like they did, 

I think the key is "when they crowd people in like they did".  We've done various travelling post Covid including cruising.  The predominant thing we did besides frequent had washing was avoiding crowds.  We seldom rode elevators (and never crowded ones), we didn't rush for the early tenders (avoiding the crowd waiting to get on), we avoided the standing room only venues.  I'm not a virolgist, but, I suspect that avoiding the crowds has been the key to keeping us healthy.   

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PATRLR said:

With the various viruses that are going around, I agree that it's stupid to participate in something like that, if you care at all about not getting the latest virus du jour.  I also recognize some people don't care about that.  

I think the key is "when they crowd people in like they did".  We've done various travelling post Covid including cruising.  The predominant thing we did besides frequent had washing was avoiding crowds.  We seldom rode elevators (and never crowded ones), we didn't rush for the early tenders (avoiding the crowd waiting to get on), we avoided the standing room only venues.  I'm not a virolgist, but, I suspect that avoiding the crowds has been the key to keeping us healthy.   

Our sailing last month on the Epic was anything BUT crowded. No lines anywhere at any time. It was great not having to wait for an elevator.

• Like 1

Husband and I finally managed to catch covid on our last cruise (November cruise -18 days).  We were only very mildly ill.  I wasn't going to post about it so as not to encourage those who long to shut down cruising again.  My biggest problem with covid for the past couple of years has been how to politely dodge well-meaning crew armed with hand sanitizer.  I'm allergic to something in it and my hands break out in itchy red bumps.  Very willing to wash my hands but got to avoid being sprayed!

Wish I had the tech skills to post a film clip of Belushi handing his friend a six pack and encouraging him to "start drinking heavily".  I frequently point out to my husband that wine is pretty much the equivalent of mouthwash when it comes to killing germs:)

On 1/4/2023 at 4:01 PM, LloydJr said:

Wouldn't you have better protection if you started drinking Cognac every four hours prior to any signs of the dreaded Covid?

• Haha 1