Live from the Mariner

Checking back in-

Captain Johnny just got back from Holiday and should be here in May.

I will try to scan teen activites when I get home but most teens pack up and do their own thing. My teen is having a blast.

Wow are we rocking and rolling. DS has 9 cruises under his belt and feeling these waves.

The balaconies in the very aft of the ship are much larger than the ones on the ship but you have to be in one in the very back.

Chops was amazing. Worth every penny. Love and Marriage show was just nuts and Last night we had Revolution (a Beatles tribute) DS snuck out of dinner to go twice. Last night was tiger shrimp and chicken marsala.

Last nights dinner was better. I think the conceirge may have had a chat with our waiters. Last night we were given total VIP tratment. They were personal and friendly and the food was flying out.

We went to Bikini Beach on Orient Beach yesterday. Cab ride was $7 per person one way and chairs we $6 a peice. It was sooo windy the the sand was kicking up and actually hurt our skin. The waves were huge and fun to play in. We had planned to go from Orient beach to Maho Beach around noon but the taxi driver wouldn't really let us he claimed we'd miss our ship due to extreme heavy traffic. DH was tiked but more than one taxi driver said the same thing. So backto the ship we went. Was a good thing cause we are soooo sunburned. We stepped down fro 15 SPF to 8 - big mistake. So fried.

Well we are now 2 days at sea back to Port Canerval.

Patty

Thanks for the Capt Johnny update! The first time we were on the Mariner we missed him as he was on his leave.

Glad to hear you are having a great time. Sorry for the sunburn.

Let us know how you like the back to back sea days. We are really looking forward to those, one to play hard and one to relax.

Tim & Crystal

Hi,

A group of 27 of us sailed The Mariner in October. We all had a blast. We had no complaints about the staff in anyway. We found all the staff to be friendly and professional.

We are off on The Radiance this Sunday so we will see how we like it.

Happy Sailing!

Vanessa

We just got off the Radiance last Sunday. Stop by the Champagne Bar if you like choclate covered strawberries. Dennis (Chuckles) the bartender always has a stash of them in the fridge if you buy some champagne. Rona at Lattetudes (the coffee place) will give you the pastry even if you don't buy the coffee. She'll tell you you're supposed to but then she'll give it to you anyway. Peter the CD likes to have the meet and mingle on the first night...so if yours is scheduled for a different day watch for the invitation because it will proably change. We went to San Juan instead of CocoCays. The Captain announced this during the Muster drill. Also the St. John Beach Bash was cancelled due to rough seas and large waves. Bring some bonine or ginger...they worked for us. We were the only 2 at a table for 12 the first night. The City of Dreams show was great...don't miss it! Have a great time!

Thanks so much for taking the time to give these real time reports.

I will be there in 2 weeks.

Can you give us a summary of what nights were what in the dining rooms?

Formal nights etc (I have heard Mond and Thurs is that still true?, lobster night etc.

Did you like Magans Bay? Would it be a nice place to take my 2 granddaughters?

Thanks again.

Janis

we are from bainbridge, ga , not far from you all. we are going on the 4/2 trip as well. we have a 10 year old girl going. she is excited about meeting some other girls. i hope there is alot of them. did you find out about babysitting services after 10:00p.m.? also did you find out about any beaches to go to in st thomas and st. martin

We are neighbors - we work in Tallahassee, live in Sopchoppy a little town just south.

Have not gotten any responses on the after 10 babysitting. From what I can gather from old posts I have cruised it looks like there is group babysitting there at the child center till 1. Or in cabin sitting. I also have not found out much about the beaches. Since we have a 3 year old with us also we probably will not do excursions, but will take a taxi to local beaches. Right now I am thinking about Megans Bay for one.

Maybe we can get the girls together at the meet and mingle. Both girls are actually my granddaughters- I am going with my 31 year old daughter and taking her 9 (on March 18) and 3 (on March 20).

Janis

Janis

My DW got a phone call from her mother today. They just got off of Mariner or rather got off went through immigration and got right back on board. They are doing back to back Eastern/Western.

From what we hear from her father, it is the cleanest ship he has ever been on.

I am envious.

Best Regards

Can you tell me of your flight experience into Orlando and transport to the pier. Have done all of the sister ships but never this one, thinking about booking Mariner in May but was curious as to the transfer from Orlando to Port Canaveral.

Thanks

David

Thanks so much for the live update. We will be cruising the Mariner on Sunday. This will be our first time on Royal Caribbean. We are so excited.

If you have a chance before Friday, could you scan your Compass. I've searched everywhere for an updated Eastern and can't find.

Is the first formal night really on CocoaCay day? I would have thought a sea day.

Thanks again for the information.

Dave

We have flown into Orlando to take a cruise several times and it is painless. It is just a 45-50 minute trip from the airport to Port Canaveral. We have done the transfers and rented a car both and prefer a rental car. It is reasonable inexpensive, about $45. We have rented from Budget and Avis and prefer Budget. They both offer shuttles to and from the port but Budget is much more friendly, cleaner, and convenient.

What part of KY are you from?

Tim

Dave

We have flown into Orlando to take a cruise several times and it is painless. It is just a 45-50 minute trip from the airport to Port Canaveral. We have done the transfers and rented a car both and prefer a rental car. It is reasonable inexpensive, about $45. We have rented from Budget and Avis and prefer Budget. They both offer shuttles to and from the port but Budget is much more friendly, cleaner, and convenient.

What part of KY are you from?

Tim

Thanks for the info, Tim. Located down in the southeast part of Ky in Harlan.

Graduated from UK years ago in Lexington and back home right in the middle of income tax season (tax accountant). You have ties to KY???

Either looking at Mariner (and probably will) since it's the last Voyager (Eagle) class ship I haven't done and will do Hawaii again this fall. Haven't decided on that date yet.

Dave

Just returned from the Mariner on 3/5, and wish we were still onboard! We loved the ship, staff, entertainment, food. Don't miss the ice show, we were very impressed! Our 4th cruise with RCI and we have had 3 on Celebrity - love them both.

Have a great cruise!

Pam (from Kentucky)

Dave

No, I am not from KY or have ties with it BUT we live just 50 miles northwest of Paducah, close to Carbondale. I was just wondering how close you might be to us.

We are going on Mariner May 28th. Come and join us!!!

Tim & Crystal

Hey gang,

Back home in a blizzard. We got about 17 inches of snow that started when our jet touched down. Yuck.

We rented a car on both ends. It was cheaper and really easy. We used Thrifty. In both cases before and after cruise they didnot have the car I reserved in stock and upgraded us for free. Very efficent and hassel free.

I can't remeber what night was what. I don't save the compasses. Toomany cruises. Wed. night the menu was the weakest that is why we chose that night for Chops. Thurs. was Lobster night. Fri. night I had Chicken Marsala - it was ok and Sat. night was turkey and Prime Rib.

I saw so many people in the dining room in shorts that I questioned our head waiter about it. He said that ist is so hard for them to police people thatfor a while they used to just sit by the door and not let people in the dining room. Then the people would write bad things on their comment cards and the head waiters would get in trouble with corporate because cruisers were not happy. He said there is just no way to control people.

Our diningroom service improved dramitically after I commented to our conceirge, Ricardo, about our waiters. I think he has a lot of power and had a chat with someone. He kept asking if things were better and to let him know if they weren't.

Note about Ricardo - Yummy!! I'd get a suite just to see him every night in the lounge. Hunk a Hunk a - ummmmm.

Overall I'd give this whole experience a 7 out of 10.

It would be higher if I hadn't had better food and service of her sisters. But that is just my comparsion.

Off to the Freedom March 11,2007.

Patty

Patty-

What time did you do Chops on wednesday night? We were there as well on wed for 6:00 reservations. We also did Portofino on tuesday night. I asked Ricardo which were the two best nights for the specialty restaurants, and he said definitely tues and wed. I couldn't believe by sunday evening, Chops reservations were full. Ricardo had waitlisted us for wed, and it worked out. Ricardo was the best and he definitely was a cutie!

Archived