book now or wait to book on-board?

rodndonna

We have not yet cruised with Celebrity (have our first X cruise in April 2023), and looking for advice on timing for  booking another X  cruise.

We are looking at Hawaii on the Edge in September 2024 and wondering (guessing) if would be better to book now with the current promo or wait to book it when we are on our cruise in April to get whatever typical perk(s) that involves and whatever promo might be there at the time.

There are no more Sunset balconies available (would have been our preference), just IV's and there seem to be plenty to pick from now so not worried about cabin selection. Like most lines, I assume the promos vary, but are essentially the same end result, and although I do anticipate fares to start rising in 2023, wouldn't think so by April. 

Would the potential perks of booking onboard be worth the small risk of prices rising or reduced cabin selection?

8 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Would the potential perks of booking onboard be worth the small risk of prices rising or reduced cabin selection?

In my opinion, no. Booking onboard just gets you some OBC and the deposit is less. If you see a price you like now, don’t wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

In my opinion, no. Booking onboard just gets you some OBC and the deposit is less. If you see a price you like now, don’t wait.

@rodndonnaAnd then check the pricing again while onboard.There may be a case for repricing at that time, if not, then you have your cabin choice and fare already

34 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

We have not yet cruised with Celebrity (have our first X cruise in April 2023), and looking for advice on timing for  booking another X  cruise.

We are looking at Hawaii on the Edge in September 2024 and wondering (guessing) if would be better to book now with the current promo or wait to book it when we are on our cruise in April to get whatever typical perk(s) that involves and whatever promo might be there at the time.

There are no more Sunset balconies available (would have been our preference), just IV's and there seem to be plenty to pick from now so not worried about cabin selection. Like most lines, I assume the promos vary, but are essentially the same end result, and although I do anticipate fares to start rising in 2023, wouldn't think so by April. 

I'm of the belief, if I see a fare I like and am comfortable with, just book it Dano.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

With all of the new cutbacks and charges I won’t book another cruise until I see how much the changes affect my enjoyment and mood. So I’ll be waiting until I’m on board. 

We haven't actually sailed Celebrity yet so don't have anything to miss in terms of cutbacks or changes. We have only sailed HAL since Covid, so  am expecting it be in-line with that experience. Lots of HAL folks complaining as well, but we hadn't sailed HAL pre-Covid and have been quite happy with those cruises.

Ignorance is bliss I guess 🤔

• Like 1

I agree with having something booked and in your pocket and then seeing what you can do once on board.  The bonus OBC is nice, but it small enough that virtually any price increase will offset it.  

If I were heading out in the next few weeks, then I'd roll the dice.  A few months of crossing my fingers is a bit much for me.