Dover Castle and World War II Tunnels

I was in Dover one afternoon many years ago.  I went into the World War II tunnels which were just beginning to be opened and were then called "Hellfire Corner." The castle was closed so did not get to see it.  Now I'm returning for a day in port and have a few questions.

1.  Will it be easy to take a taxi or Uber from the port to the castle and return?  

2.  Can we easily visit the castle, have lunch and then see the tunnels in perhaps 4 or 5 hours?

3.  What area of the castle should we not miss?

Thanks.

39 minutes ago, ILoveScotland said:

I was in Dover one afternoon many years ago.  I went into the World War II tunnels which were just beginning to be opened and were then called "Hellfire Corner." The castle was closed so did not get to see it.  Now I'm returning for a day in port and have a few questions.

1.  Will it be easy to take a taxi or Uber from the port to the castle and return?  

2.  Can we easily visit the castle, have lunch and then see the tunnels in perhaps 4 or 5 hours?

3.  What area of the castle should we not miss?

Thanks.

1. Yes. But there's no taxi rank at the castle, so agree a time for the driver to return or jot down the operator's number or the uber app.

2. Yes, though there are no independent cafes or restaurants or pubs in walking distance.

3. Medieval tunnels, inside & on top of the keep, the Operation Dynamo tunnels - including the ladies toilet (😵). 

JB 🙂

BTW, it's this corner of the county, not just the castle, that's called Hellfire Corner

BTW If time & taxi fare (+ about 15 minutes waiting time) don't break the bank the Battle of Britain Memorial on the clifftop at Capel Le Ferne is 5 miles from the cruise terminal https://www.battleofbritainmemorial.org/

16 hours ago, John Bull said:

1. Yes. But there's no taxi rank at the castle, so agree a time for the driver to return or jot down the operator's number or the uber app.

2. Yes, though there are no independent cafes or restaurants or pubs in walking distance.

3. Medieval tunnels, inside & on top of the keep, the Operation Dynamo tunnels - including the ladies toilet (😵). 

JB 🙂

BTW, it's this corner of the county, not just the castle, that's called Hellfire Corner

BTW If time & taxi fare (+ about 15 minutes waiting time) don't break the bank the Battle of Britain Memorial on the clifftop at Capel Le Ferne is 5 miles from the cruise terminal https://www.battleofbritainmemorial.org/

Thank you for the information.  I do know the area is called Hellfire Corner, but in September 1994 when I went there there was a sign at the entrance to the tunnels that said Hellfire Corner.

Anyway, good information and just what I needed to know.