Complaint - Bullying

Ozkarnak

Want to add that of course no crew should be subject to bullying of any sort and I applaud every passenger standing up for that crew.  Bravo.

There is of course another aspect to these incidents.  The decision of any crew member/staff/supervisor on the ship to engage in this type of inappropriate behaviour in public is to chose to engage in this behaviour with everyone in the surrounding area.  Simply being an observer of this behaviour, even though it is not directed at you, makes you an unwilling participant in the exchange that can leave you feeling very uncomfortable, embarrassed, angry and for some, even frightened.  It has become a service experience on the cruise just as having your cabin serviced is a service experience.  I don't think any of us when we booked our cruises want to experience or pay for that service experience.  

Maybe I am rambling too much, my point being that everyone within the immediate area of the incident deserves an apology and management on board should treat it as the  unacceptable experience it is for their passengers and take necessary steps to remedy it.

1 hour ago, cbr663 said:

Want to add that of course no crew should be subject to bullying of any sort and I applaud every passenger standing up for that crew.  Bravo.

There is of course another aspect to these incidents.  The decision of any crew member/staff/supervisor on the ship to engage in this type of inappropriate behaviour in public is to chose to engage in this behaviour with everyone in the surrounding area.  Simply being an observer of this behaviour, even though it is not directed at you, makes you an unwilling participant in the exchange that can leave you feeling very uncomfortable, embarrassed, angry and for some, even frightened.  It has become a service experience on the cruise just as having your cabin serviced is a service experience.  I don't think any of us when we booked our cruises want to experience or pay for that service experience.  

Maybe I am rambling too much, my point being that everyone within the immediate area of the incident deserves an apology and management on board should treat it as the  unacceptable experience it is for their passengers and take necessary steps to remedy it.

"Bullying" and "Belittling" are two very subjective terms and the original poster did not define anything that proves bullying or belittling. Between this ambiguity and the fact that untrained humans are generally horrible at witnessing and recounting their witness I am treating this post just like I would treat a review of HAL getting an overall review of 1/5 -- skeptical.  For all we know the manager was directly giving valuable feedback to the employee in front of an "audience".  Was he yelling?  Making a scene?  None of that was described in any detail.  What did he say that upset the poster to the point they thought about it for "an hour".  My interpretation (and that is all it is), is that it was no big deal, someone can correct me if my interpretation seems inaccurate, the OP could chime in with more details, etc.

Would I do something like that to an employee?  Nope.  I would take them immediately to an area where the public would not witness the interaction and tell them, their job was on the line.  Unless they change their behavior immediately and show measurable improvement from that moment moving forward, the next port may be their last.  Simple.  Is that belittling?  Bullying?  To many people  these days it is bullying.  I call it "at will employment".

Edited by bdd123
  • Like 1