Can I hire a private tour guide/taxi or rent a car?

MamaParrotHead

There are bits and pieces of different tours offered that I'd like to do, so I was wondering...are there taxi "tours" or any private companies anyone can recommend? We're not big snorkelers, and most tours offered have atleast part of the time spent snorkeling. I'm thinking I'd like to see the turtle farm, experience the rays *somewhere* shallow, and get to know a little bit about the island. I'd also like to get to Rum Point, but short of going on a tour (that only allows like 1.5-2 hours of time there) or renting a car, I think I'm SOL. If we do end up renting a car, is the island easy to navigate? How long does it take to get around the whole island? Any suggestions on "must-see's" or "must-do's"?

It'll be our first time on the island, 4 of us, late 20's-early 30's. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The catch in your list is that the Stingrays are about 2 miles from the nearest point of land (Rum Point). A boat is the only way to go, and that pretty much means you need to look for a tour of some sort.

In good traffic conditions it takes about an hour to drive from the Turtle Farm to Rum Point if you know where you are going and don't miss turns. Frequently, traffic conditions are not "good" if there are a lot of ships in port and West Bay Road can become seriously congested.

Navigating isn't so difficult, but there are still certain areas with minimal signage. Ask questions and get directions from a local before heading out.

Archived